Feb 28, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers Nail Yakupov, who had been showing signs of finding his game amid numerous sophomore struggles, left Thursday’s game against the Minnesota Wild with an ankle injury, as per the club’s Twitter account.
Yakupov left the game after his first shift of the third period and did not return. The Oilers lost their first game out of the Olympic break by a final score of 3-0 to the Minnesota Wild.
The 20-year-old Yakupov, Edmonton’s first overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, had only just returned to the Oilers’ lineup toward the end of January from a two-game absence due to a concussion.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)