Feb 28, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers Nail Yakupov, who had been showing signs of finding his game amid numerous sophomore struggles, left Thursday’s game against the Minnesota Wild with an ankle injury, as per the club’s Twitter account.
Yakupov left the game after his first shift of the third period and did not return. The Oilers lost their first game out of the Olympic break by a final score of 3-0 to the Minnesota Wild.
The 20-year-old Yakupov, Edmonton’s first overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, had only just returned to the Oilers’ lineup toward the end of January from a two-game absence due to a concussion.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39