Feb 28, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
Temperatures are expected to drop into the teens, with the possibility of snow, for Saturday’s Stadium Series finale between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins (8 p.m. ET, NBC).
But the cold weather hasn’t dampened fan enthusiasm for the big event, which took less than 24 hours to sell out after tickets went on sale in December. It’s estimated that 2,500 gallons of hot chocolate will be sold during the game, along with 12,000 Famous Chicago Dogs.
Here’s what the set-up looks like at the home of the NFL’s Bears:
Despite both teams being part of the NHL’s elite, they each come into the contest on a losing note. The ‘Hawks lost 2-1 Thursday to the Rangers; around the same time, the Pens were dropping a 6-5 shootout decision at home to the Canadiens.
In fact, since finishing December with a 28-7-7 record, the defending Stanley Cup champs from Chicago are just 7-5-7.
RELATED: Going to the game? Submit your own video and you could win big. More details here.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)