Feb 28, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Members of the Pittsburgh Penguins had a collectively strong critique of the officiating following a 6-5 shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday.
Penguins forward Tanner Glass was assessed a major penalty for elbowing after a hit on Alexei Emelin, and a game misconduct with less than eight minutes remaining in the third period, and with Pittsburgh ahead with a 5-4 lead.
However, less than two minutes after Glass was penalized, the Habs tied the game on a power play goal from Daniel Briere. The Canadiens went on to win in the deciding skills competition.
Glass didn’t like the call, saying he did not make contact with Emelin’s head on the hit.
“There were some calls out there that you struggle to see where they’re coming from,” Glass said, as per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But they’ve had some time off, too.
“I understand why he called it from his angle … It looked bad with the follow-through. I didn’t make any contact with his head at all. He put his sticks and gloves up.
“That’s why I followed through the way I did, to keep the stick away from my face.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)