Feb 28, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Members of the Pittsburgh Penguins had a collectively strong critique of the officiating following a 6-5 shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday.
Penguins forward Tanner Glass was assessed a major penalty for elbowing after a hit on Alexei Emelin, and a game misconduct with less than eight minutes remaining in the third period, and with Pittsburgh ahead with a 5-4 lead.
However, less than two minutes after Glass was penalized, the Habs tied the game on a power play goal from Daniel Briere. The Canadiens went on to win in the deciding skills competition.
Glass didn’t like the call, saying he did not make contact with Emelin’s head on the hit.
“There were some calls out there that you struggle to see where they’re coming from,” Glass said, as per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But they’ve had some time off, too.
“I understand why he called it from his angle … It looked bad with the follow-through. I didn’t make any contact with his head at all. He put his sticks and gloves up.
“That’s why I followed through the way I did, to keep the stick away from my face.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)