Feb 28, 2014, 1:29 AM EST
Members of the Pittsburgh Penguins had a collectively strong critique of the officiating following a 6-5 shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday.
Penguins forward Tanner Glass was assessed a major penalty for elbowing after a hit on Alexei Emelin, and a game misconduct with less than eight minutes remaining in the third period, and with Pittsburgh ahead with a 5-4 lead.
However, less than two minutes after Glass was penalized, the Habs tied the game on a power play goal from Daniel Briere. The Canadiens went on to win in the deciding skills competition.
Glass didn’t like the call, saying he did not make contact with Emelin’s head on the hit.
“There were some calls out there that you struggle to see where they’re coming from,” Glass said, as per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But they’ve had some time off, too.
“I understand why he called it from his angle … It looked bad with the follow-through. I didn’t make any contact with his head at all. He put his sticks and gloves up.
“That’s why I followed through the way I did, to keep the stick away from my face.”
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 3
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)