Feb 28, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Dan Girardi is staying with the New York Rangers. The 29-year-old defenseman has agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract extension ($5.5 million cap hit), that value according to multiple reports.
“Dan has been a Ranger for his entire career, signing with us as an undrafted free agent and working his way to become a top defenseman in the NHL,” said general manager Glen Sather in a release. “His dedication to this club, as a leader both on the ice and in the locker room, is invaluable to this team. We are happy to have been able to ensure that he will continue to wear the Blueshirt.”
Girardi was a pending unrestricted free agent, and there was talk he could be traded prior to Wednesday’s deadline should no extension be reached.
As far as comparable contracts for pending UFA defenseman go, there’s Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf (seven years, $7 million cap hit) and Detroit’s Jonathan Ericsson (six years, $4.25 million cap hit) to consider.
For general manager Glen Sather, attention will now turn to captain Ryan Callahan, who remains an unrestricted free agent and could still be traded by Wednesday.
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)