Feb 28, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Dan Girardi is staying with the New York Rangers. The 29-year-old defenseman has agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract extension ($5.5 million cap hit), that value according to multiple reports.
“Dan has been a Ranger for his entire career, signing with us as an undrafted free agent and working his way to become a top defenseman in the NHL,” said general manager Glen Sather in a release. “His dedication to this club, as a leader both on the ice and in the locker room, is invaluable to this team. We are happy to have been able to ensure that he will continue to wear the Blueshirt.”
Girardi was a pending unrestricted free agent, and there was talk he could be traded prior to Wednesday’s deadline should no extension be reached.
As far as comparable contracts for pending UFA defenseman go, there’s Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf (seven years, $7 million cap hit) and Detroit’s Jonathan Ericsson (six years, $4.25 million cap hit) to consider.
For general manager Glen Sather, attention will now turn to captain Ryan Callahan, who remains an unrestricted free agent and could still be traded by Wednesday.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)