Feb 28, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers had a decent start in their return from the Olympic break, but quickly faded.
The Flyers gave up five goals in the second period to the visiting San Jose Sharks, and dropped a 7-3 decision on Thursday evening. Philadelphia goalie Steve Mason was pulled in the second period and then came back into the net in the third period, as per the Flyers’ Twitter account. In total, Mason allowed four goals on a combined 16 shots.
For the Sharks, Joe Pavelski scored the hat trick, while Logan Couture and Raffi Torres each added a pair of goals. For Torres, scoring twice only added to what was a special night for the hard-hitting forward. He was making his season debut after missing the first five months of the season with a torn ACL.
It wasn’t such a sunny post-game atmosphere for Philadelphia. Mason summed up the Flyers night succinctly.
“We had a full week of practice to make sure we were ready for this, and I thought our effort was pretty crappy overall,” Mason said afterward, as per Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)