Feb 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s easy to look at the on-ice situation and say that Ryan Miller is feeling pure joy in being traded to the St. Louis Blues. That ignores the very human element of this situation, as Miller says goodbye to the only NHL team he’s ever known in the Buffalo Sabres.
The expression on Miller’s face during the farewell press conference might just capture that mixture of excitement in getting a great opportunity and sadness in leaving a team where he spent “a third” of his life.
Consider just the last few weeks for the 33-year-old. For better or worse, the U.S. men’s hockey team went with Jonathan Quick instead of Miller, denying him an opportunity to improve upon that silver-medal performance. Now he goes from a dreary (yet familiar) on-ice situation in Buffalo to high expectations in St. Louis.
“It just kind of hits you all at once,” Miller said, according to the Buffalo News.
Even so, there’s no denying the opportunity for Miller, who could really maximize his value (either in St. Louis or somewhere else, depending upon potential negotiations) if he can help the Blues make a deep playoff run.
“I am very excited for an opportunity to have a new adventure,” Miller said. “I have a strong sense that (St. Louis) has a very special team.”
Blues fans will probably expect special work from Miller, then.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)