Feb 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s easy to look at the on-ice situation and say that Ryan Miller is feeling pure joy in being traded to the St. Louis Blues. That ignores the very human element of this situation, as Miller says goodbye to the only NHL team he’s ever known in the Buffalo Sabres.
The expression on Miller’s face during the farewell press conference might just capture that mixture of excitement in getting a great opportunity and sadness in leaving a team where he spent “a third” of his life.
Consider just the last few weeks for the 33-year-old. For better or worse, the U.S. men’s hockey team went with Jonathan Quick instead of Miller, denying him an opportunity to improve upon that silver-medal performance. Now he goes from a dreary (yet familiar) on-ice situation in Buffalo to high expectations in St. Louis.
“It just kind of hits you all at once,” Miller said, according to the Buffalo News.
Even so, there’s no denying the opportunity for Miller, who could really maximize his value (either in St. Louis or somewhere else, depending upon potential negotiations) if he can help the Blues make a deep playoff run.
“I am very excited for an opportunity to have a new adventure,” Miller said. “I have a strong sense that (St. Louis) has a very special team.”
Blues fans will probably expect special work from Miller, then.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 16
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 29
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)