Feb 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s easy to look at the on-ice situation and say that Ryan Miller is feeling pure joy in being traded to the St. Louis Blues. That ignores the very human element of this situation, as Miller says goodbye to the only NHL team he’s ever known in the Buffalo Sabres.
The expression on Miller’s face during the farewell press conference might just capture that mixture of excitement in getting a great opportunity and sadness in leaving a team where he spent “a third” of his life.
Consider just the last few weeks for the 33-year-old. For better or worse, the U.S. men’s hockey team went with Jonathan Quick instead of Miller, denying him an opportunity to improve upon that silver-medal performance. Now he goes from a dreary (yet familiar) on-ice situation in Buffalo to high expectations in St. Louis.
“It just kind of hits you all at once,” Miller said, according to the Buffalo News.
Even so, there’s no denying the opportunity for Miller, who could really maximize his value (either in St. Louis or somewhere else, depending upon potential negotiations) if he can help the Blues make a deep playoff run.
“I am very excited for an opportunity to have a new adventure,” Miller said. “I have a strong sense that (St. Louis) has a very special team.”
Blues fans will probably expect special work from Miller, then.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 30
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (30)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)