Feb 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s easy to look at the on-ice situation and say that Ryan Miller is feeling pure joy in being traded to the St. Louis Blues. That ignores the very human element of this situation, as Miller says goodbye to the only NHL team he’s ever known in the Buffalo Sabres.
The expression on Miller’s face during the farewell press conference might just capture that mixture of excitement in getting a great opportunity and sadness in leaving a team where he spent “a third” of his life.
Consider just the last few weeks for the 33-year-old. For better or worse, the U.S. men’s hockey team went with Jonathan Quick instead of Miller, denying him an opportunity to improve upon that silver-medal performance. Now he goes from a dreary (yet familiar) on-ice situation in Buffalo to high expectations in St. Louis.
“It just kind of hits you all at once,” Miller said, according to the Buffalo News.
Even so, there’s no denying the opportunity for Miller, who could really maximize his value (either in St. Louis or somewhere else, depending upon potential negotiations) if he can help the Blues make a deep playoff run.
“I am very excited for an opportunity to have a new adventure,” Miller said. “I have a strong sense that (St. Louis) has a very special team.”
Blues fans will probably expect special work from Miller, then.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)