Feb 28, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Brian Burke, the interim general manager of the Calgary Flames, has spoken about his future role with the team.
Based on his comments on TSN2 on Thursday evening, the Flames will have a new general manager next season. Now, who will it be remains something of a mystery. One thing Burke made perfectly clear, at least based on reports from TSN’s Darren Dreger, is that he won’t be the Flames’ GM next season.
He took over the job on an interim basis when he fired Jay Feaster in December.
There also remains the issue of whether or not to deal talented veteran forward Mike Cammalleri, who is in the final year of a five-year deal worth $30 million and a cap hit of $6 million.
As per NHL.com, the Flames have offered Cammalleri a contract extension.
“We have not gotten a deal done. We will continue to talk and a trade is a possibility, no question about that, but re-signing him is a possibility too. I would not predict how that will come out. We’ll see,” said Burke, as per NHL.com, which was citing Sportsnet 960 The Fan.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)