Feb 28, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
Brian Burke, the interim general manager of the Calgary Flames, has spoken about his future role with the team.
Based on his comments on TSN2 on Thursday evening, the Flames will have a new general manager next season. Now, who will it be remains something of a mystery. One thing Burke made perfectly clear, at least based on reports from TSN’s Darren Dreger, is that he won’t be the Flames’ GM next season.
He took over the job on an interim basis when he fired Jay Feaster in December.
There also remains the issue of whether or not to deal talented veteran forward Mike Cammalleri, who is in the final year of a five-year deal worth $30 million and a cap hit of $6 million.
As per NHL.com, the Flames have offered Cammalleri a contract extension.
“We have not gotten a deal done. We will continue to talk and a trade is a possibility, no question about that, but re-signing him is a possibility too. I would not predict how that will come out. We’ll see,” said Burke, as per NHL.com, which was citing Sportsnet 960 The Fan.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)