Feb 28, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Brian Burke, the interim general manager of the Calgary Flames, has spoken about his future role with the team.
Based on his comments on TSN2 on Thursday evening, the Flames will have a new general manager next season. Now, who will it be remains something of a mystery. One thing Burke made perfectly clear, at least based on reports from TSN’s Darren Dreger, is that he won’t be the Flames’ GM next season.
He took over the job on an interim basis when he fired Jay Feaster in December.
There also remains the issue of whether or not to deal talented veteran forward Mike Cammalleri, who is in the final year of a five-year deal worth $30 million and a cap hit of $6 million.
As per NHL.com, the Flames have offered Cammalleri a contract extension.
“We have not gotten a deal done. We will continue to talk and a trade is a possibility, no question about that, but re-signing him is a possibility too. I would not predict how that will come out. We’ll see,” said Burke, as per NHL.com, which was citing Sportsnet 960 The Fan.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)