Feb 27, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
Back in December, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis expressed confidence that Sunday’s Heritage Classic versus Ottawa at BC Place would be sold out.
We wonder if he’s as confident today.
From The Province:
With the Heritage Classic just a few days away, it appears the NHL and the Vancouver Canucks are having difficulty selling the remaining tickets for the ‘outdoor’ game at B.C. Place Stadium on Sunday.
Amid reports of giveaways and deep discounting for tickets, the NHL’s executive vice-president events Don Renzulli said in a media briefing on Wednesday that about 90 per cent of the tickets for the game had been sold and that he was confident the venue would be full for the game. Renzulli couldn’t supply an exact number for the arena’s capacity for the one-off event, saying it was somewhere between 52,000 and 53,000.
Not helping sales? A struggling Canucks team combined with an opponent that stirs no real passion from the local market combined with high ticket prices combined with a venue that’s hardly up there with, say, the Big House in terms of its iconic nature.
But hey, at least it’s supposed to rain.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (164)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)