Feb 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
While it’s never easy to predict what New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello is going to do, he did give a glimpse into his plans for next Wednesday’s trade deadline.
As it stands right now, Lamoriello says, “It’s not even a question” that he views himself as a buyer looking to supplement a roster he still believes is good enough to qualify for the playoffs.
“If we can get better, that’s absolutely what we’ll do,” he said. “I’m really happy with this team. You’re not going to do anything for the sake of doing it, but this team has overcome a lot through a difficult period of time right now and we have some things going in our favor.
“We have a favorable schedule, we have a sort of healthy team and the new players who we brought in are really comfortable within the system. They’re comfortable in their own skin. They’re comfortable with the coaches.”
This news will likely come as a relief to Jaromir Jagr, a pending UFA that would make for a great rental. He leads the Devils in points and did well as a sort-term addition last year for Boston, but has repeatedly stated he doesn’t want to leave New Jersey.
Historically, Lamoriello has been a buyer at the deadline. He added Steve Sullivan and Matt D’Agostini last year and Marek Zidlicky the year before (that said, he did essentially sell Jason Arnott to the Caps at the ’11 deadline). In light of what’s been said above, it’ll be curious to see how Lamoriello addresses his other pending UFAs — specifically, Martin Brodeur.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)