Feb 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
While it’s never easy to predict what New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello is going to do, he did give a glimpse into his plans for next Wednesday’s trade deadline.
As it stands right now, Lamoriello says, “It’s not even a question” that he views himself as a buyer looking to supplement a roster he still believes is good enough to qualify for the playoffs.
“If we can get better, that’s absolutely what we’ll do,” he said. “I’m really happy with this team. You’re not going to do anything for the sake of doing it, but this team has overcome a lot through a difficult period of time right now and we have some things going in our favor.
“We have a favorable schedule, we have a sort of healthy team and the new players who we brought in are really comfortable within the system. They’re comfortable in their own skin. They’re comfortable with the coaches.”
This news will likely come as a relief to Jaromir Jagr, a pending UFA that would make for a great rental. He leads the Devils in points and did well as a sort-term addition last year for Boston, but has repeatedly stated he doesn’t want to leave New Jersey.
Historically, Lamoriello has been a buyer at the deadline. He added Steve Sullivan and Matt D’Agostini last year and Marek Zidlicky the year before (that said, he did essentially sell Jason Arnott to the Caps at the ’11 deadline). In light of what’s been said above, it’ll be curious to see how Lamoriello addresses his other pending UFAs — specifically, Martin Brodeur.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)