Feb 27, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The Flyers netminder had been struggling for weeks before he posted a 33-save shutout against Detroit on Jan. 28. That looked like a turning point for him as he went on to allow just three goals over three February games.
Then the Olympic break started and it looks like his forced vacation came at an inopportune time for him. His hot streak now a distant memory, Mason surrendered four goals on 13 shots before being pulled midway through the second period of Philadelphia’s game against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
Mason’s fate was cemented after he allowed three goals over the span of 6:24 minutes, including two markers within 35 seconds of each other:
He was replaced by Ray Emery, who wasn’t immediately able to stop the Sharks’ onslaught. Joe Pavelski found the back of the net against him to score his third goal of the second period.
With the hat trick, Pavelski has set a new career-high with 32 goals and plenty of time to spare.
Update: Emery didn’t fare much better, so with a little more than nine minutes left to play, Philadelphia went back to Mason.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)