Feb 27, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The Flyers netminder had been struggling for weeks before he posted a 33-save shutout against Detroit on Jan. 28. That looked like a turning point for him as he went on to allow just three goals over three February games.
Then the Olympic break started and it looks like his forced vacation came at an inopportune time for him. His hot streak now a distant memory, Mason surrendered four goals on 13 shots before being pulled midway through the second period of Philadelphia’s game against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
Mason’s fate was cemented after he allowed three goals over the span of 6:24 minutes, including two markers within 35 seconds of each other:
He was replaced by Ray Emery, who wasn’t immediately able to stop the Sharks’ onslaught. Joe Pavelski found the back of the net against him to score his third goal of the second period.
With the hat trick, Pavelski has set a new career-high with 32 goals and plenty of time to spare.
Update: Emery didn’t fare much better, so with a little more than nine minutes left to play, Philadelphia went back to Mason.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)