Feb 27, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The Flyers netminder had been struggling for weeks before he posted a 33-save shutout against Detroit on Jan. 28. That looked like a turning point for him as he went on to allow just three goals over three February games.
Then the Olympic break started and it looks like his forced vacation came at an inopportune time for him. His hot streak now a distant memory, Mason surrendered four goals on 13 shots before being pulled midway through the second period of Philadelphia’s game against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
Mason’s fate was cemented after he allowed three goals over the span of 6:24 minutes, including two markers within 35 seconds of each other:
He was replaced by Ray Emery, who wasn’t immediately able to stop the Sharks’ onslaught. Joe Pavelski found the back of the net against him to score his third goal of the second period.
With the hat trick, Pavelski has set a new career-high with 32 goals and plenty of time to spare.
Update: Emery didn’t fare much better, so with a little more than nine minutes left to play, Philadelphia went back to Mason.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)