Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Talbot starts for Blueshirts
The Rangers will rest Henrik Lunqvist — coming off a silver medal-winning performance in Sochi — tonight when they host the Blackhawks at MSG, giving Cam Talbot the start.
Talbot has been great for the Rangers this season, providing stellar backup play since replacing Martin Biron as Lundqvist’s No. 2. Talbot’s 10-5-0 on the year with a 1.79 GAA and .935 save percentage, but does face a tough test tonight in the high-flying Blackhawks.
Speaking of the ‘Hawks, Corey Crawford will get the nod tonight.
Ortio to make Flames, NHL debut
Special night for Finnish netminder Joni Ortio, as he’ll make his big-league debut against the Kings in Calgary. Ortio gets his chance with Karri Ramo shelved (lower body) and comes in on the heels of a solid campaign with AHL Abbotsford, where he’s 20-6-0 this season with a 2.22 GAA and .926 save percentage.
Ortio will be the fourth goalie to suit up for the Flames this year, joining Ramo, Reto Berra and Joey MacDonald.
No word yet on who will start for L.A. Martin Jones played in last night’s 6-4 win over Colorado.
Habs at Pens: Marc-Andre Fleury for Pittsburgh, no word yet on Montreal’s starter.
Lightning at Preds: Carter Hutton for Nashville, no confirmation from Tampa yet.
Hurricanes at Stars: Anthon Khudobin vs. Kari Lehtonen
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 11
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5