Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Talbot starts for Blueshirts
The Rangers will rest Henrik Lunqvist — coming off a silver medal-winning performance in Sochi — tonight when they host the Blackhawks at MSG, giving Cam Talbot the start.
Talbot has been great for the Rangers this season, providing stellar backup play since replacing Martin Biron as Lundqvist’s No. 2. Talbot’s 10-5-0 on the year with a 1.79 GAA and .935 save percentage, but does face a tough test tonight in the high-flying Blackhawks.
Speaking of the ‘Hawks, Corey Crawford will get the nod tonight.
Ortio to make Flames, NHL debut
Special night for Finnish netminder Joni Ortio, as he’ll make his big-league debut against the Kings in Calgary. Ortio gets his chance with Karri Ramo shelved (lower body) and comes in on the heels of a solid campaign with AHL Abbotsford, where he’s 20-6-0 this season with a 2.22 GAA and .926 save percentage.
Ortio will be the fourth goalie to suit up for the Flames this year, joining Ramo, Reto Berra and Joey MacDonald.
No word yet on who will start for L.A. Martin Jones played in last night’s 6-4 win over Colorado.
Habs at Pens: Marc-Andre Fleury for Pittsburgh, no word yet on Montreal’s starter.
Lightning at Preds: Carter Hutton for Nashville, no confirmation from Tampa yet.
Hurricanes at Stars: Anthon Khudobin vs. Kari Lehtonen
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)