Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Talbot starts for Blueshirts
The Rangers will rest Henrik Lunqvist — coming off a silver medal-winning performance in Sochi — tonight when they host the Blackhawks at MSG, giving Cam Talbot the start.
Talbot has been great for the Rangers this season, providing stellar backup play since replacing Martin Biron as Lundqvist’s No. 2. Talbot’s 10-5-0 on the year with a 1.79 GAA and .935 save percentage, but does face a tough test tonight in the high-flying Blackhawks.
Speaking of the ‘Hawks, Corey Crawford will get the nod tonight.
Ortio to make Flames, NHL debut
Special night for Finnish netminder Joni Ortio, as he’ll make his big-league debut against the Kings in Calgary. Ortio gets his chance with Karri Ramo shelved (lower body) and comes in on the heels of a solid campaign with AHL Abbotsford, where he’s 20-6-0 this season with a 2.22 GAA and .926 save percentage.
Ortio will be the fourth goalie to suit up for the Flames this year, joining Ramo, Reto Berra and Joey MacDonald.
No word yet on who will start for L.A. Martin Jones played in last night’s 6-4 win over Colorado.
Habs at Pens: Marc-Andre Fleury for Pittsburgh, no word yet on Montreal’s starter.
Lightning at Preds: Carter Hutton for Nashville, no confirmation from Tampa yet.
Hurricanes at Stars: Anthon Khudobin vs. Kari Lehtonen
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 10
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18