Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Talbot starts for Blueshirts
The Rangers will rest Henrik Lunqvist — coming off a silver medal-winning performance in Sochi — tonight when they host the Blackhawks at MSG, giving Cam Talbot the start.
Talbot has been great for the Rangers this season, providing stellar backup play since replacing Martin Biron as Lundqvist’s No. 2. Talbot’s 10-5-0 on the year with a 1.79 GAA and .935 save percentage, but does face a tough test tonight in the high-flying Blackhawks.
Speaking of the ‘Hawks, Corey Crawford will get the nod tonight.
Ortio to make Flames, NHL debut
Special night for Finnish netminder Joni Ortio, as he’ll make his big-league debut against the Kings in Calgary. Ortio gets his chance with Karri Ramo shelved (lower body) and comes in on the heels of a solid campaign with AHL Abbotsford, where he’s 20-6-0 this season with a 2.22 GAA and .926 save percentage.
Ortio will be the fourth goalie to suit up for the Flames this year, joining Ramo, Reto Berra and Joey MacDonald.
No word yet on who will start for L.A. Martin Jones played in last night’s 6-4 win over Colorado.
Habs at Pens: Marc-Andre Fleury for Pittsburgh, no word yet on Montreal’s starter.
Lightning at Preds: Carter Hutton for Nashville, no confirmation from Tampa yet.
Hurricanes at Stars: Anthon Khudobin vs. Kari Lehtonen
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8