Feb 27, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are having a great game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, but what momentum they get from this contest might be dampened depending on the status of Damien Brunner.
The 27-year-old forward played in just two shifts tonight and won’t return due to a lower-body injury, per the Devils PR department.
This is the latest setback in what has been a disappointing season for Brunner. He signed a two-year, $5 million contract with New Jersey, but has just nine goals and 17 points in 41 games. He started to turn things around in December with four goals and five points in four contests, but that hot streak ended with a right knee injury that sidelined him for a month.
The Devils were still hoping that he would get hot again going into the stretch run. They need all the help they can get given that the competition for the Wild Card spots as well as second and third place in the Metropolitan Division is fierce.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)