Feb 27, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are having a great game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, but what momentum they get from this contest might be dampened depending on the status of Damien Brunner.
The 27-year-old forward played in just two shifts tonight and won’t return due to a lower-body injury, per the Devils PR department.
This is the latest setback in what has been a disappointing season for Brunner. He signed a two-year, $5 million contract with New Jersey, but has just nine goals and 17 points in 41 games. He started to turn things around in December with four goals and five points in four contests, but that hot streak ended with a right knee injury that sidelined him for a month.
The Devils were still hoping that he would get hot again going into the stretch run. They need all the help they can get given that the competition for the Wild Card spots as well as second and third place in the Metropolitan Division is fierce.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 22
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 24
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 74
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (74)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)