Feb 27, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Cliche, 26, is enjoying a career year with the Avs, recording highs in every statistical category while emerging as a valuable member of the team’s 16th-ranked penalty kill.
“Marc-Andre has been a solid addition to our hockey club,” Avs VP Joe Sakic said in a statement. “He has done a tremendous job on the penalty kill, has a great work ethic, and we’re excited to have him under contract for the next two years.”
The 56th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Cliche is a late bloomer — he only appeared in one NHL contest prior to this season (with the Kings in 2009-10) and spent a long time toiling in AHL Manchester before getting picked up on waivers by the Avs during training camp.
He proceeded to impress, make the team and now leads all Colorado forwards in shorthanded time on ice, with 2:35 per game.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)