Feb 27, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Cliche, 26, is enjoying a career year with the Avs, recording highs in every statistical category while emerging as a valuable member of the team’s 16th-ranked penalty kill.
“Marc-Andre has been a solid addition to our hockey club,” Avs VP Joe Sakic said in a statement. “He has done a tremendous job on the penalty kill, has a great work ethic, and we’re excited to have him under contract for the next two years.”
The 56th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Cliche is a late bloomer — he only appeared in one NHL contest prior to this season (with the Kings in 2009-10) and spent a long time toiling in AHL Manchester before getting picked up on waivers by the Avs during training camp.
He proceeded to impress, make the team and now leads all Colorado forwards in shorthanded time on ice, with 2:35 per game.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47