Feb 27, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Cliche, 26, is enjoying a career year with the Avs, recording highs in every statistical category while emerging as a valuable member of the team’s 16th-ranked penalty kill.
“Marc-Andre has been a solid addition to our hockey club,” Avs VP Joe Sakic said in a statement. “He has done a tremendous job on the penalty kill, has a great work ethic, and we’re excited to have him under contract for the next two years.”
The 56th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Cliche is a late bloomer — he only appeared in one NHL contest prior to this season (with the Kings in 2009-10) and spent a long time toiling in AHL Manchester before getting picked up on waivers by the Avs during training camp.
He proceeded to impress, make the team and now leads all Colorado forwards in shorthanded time on ice, with 2:35 per game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)