Feb 27, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
Detroit general manager Ken Holland has a dilemma. Like any GM, he’d like to improve his team before Wednesday’s trade deadline. However…
“Unfortunately, we’re on the bubble,” Holland told ESPN.com. “It’s hard to risk that if we miss the playoffs, to trade a high draft pick or a real top prospect for not even a playoff run. At the same time, we feel that the kids that we’ve got — Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco — they have really made a positive impact on our hockey team. Looks like they’re going to be around here for a while and they should be getting better.”
The Red Wings aren’t the only ones with a dilemma. Per Sports Club Stats, there are 16 teams that could be called “on the bubble,” starting with the Kings (at 91.8% to make the playoffs) all the way down to the Jets (11.7%).
Detroit is at 49.9% following last night’s overtime win in Montreal.
Of course, while Holland may be loathe to roll the dice on a pending unrestricted free agent (a.k.a. a rental), he could still pull off a deal for a player with term remaining on his contract. Not surprisingly given yesterday’s report, there’s plenty of speculation about Michigan native Ryan Kesler possibly being traded to the Wings, though we tend to wonder if Holland isn’t all stocked up on injury-prone forwards.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)