Feb 27, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Detroit general manager Ken Holland has a dilemma. Like any GM, he’d like to improve his team before Wednesday’s trade deadline. However…
“Unfortunately, we’re on the bubble,” Holland told ESPN.com. “It’s hard to risk that if we miss the playoffs, to trade a high draft pick or a real top prospect for not even a playoff run. At the same time, we feel that the kids that we’ve got — Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco — they have really made a positive impact on our hockey team. Looks like they’re going to be around here for a while and they should be getting better.”
The Red Wings aren’t the only ones with a dilemma. Per Sports Club Stats, there are 16 teams that could be called “on the bubble,” starting with the Kings (at 91.8% to make the playoffs) all the way down to the Jets (11.7%).
Detroit is at 49.9% following last night’s overtime win in Montreal.
Of course, while Holland may be loathe to roll the dice on a pending unrestricted free agent (a.k.a. a rental), he could still pull off a deal for a player with term remaining on his contract. Not surprisingly given yesterday’s report, there’s plenty of speculation about Michigan native Ryan Kesler possibly being traded to the Wings, though we tend to wonder if Holland isn’t all stocked up on injury-prone forwards.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)