Feb 27, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Detroit general manager Ken Holland has a dilemma. Like any GM, he’d like to improve his team before Wednesday’s trade deadline. However…
“Unfortunately, we’re on the bubble,” Holland told ESPN.com. “It’s hard to risk that if we miss the playoffs, to trade a high draft pick or a real top prospect for not even a playoff run. At the same time, we feel that the kids that we’ve got — Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco — they have really made a positive impact on our hockey team. Looks like they’re going to be around here for a while and they should be getting better.”
The Red Wings aren’t the only ones with a dilemma. Per Sports Club Stats, there are 16 teams that could be called “on the bubble,” starting with the Kings (at 91.8% to make the playoffs) all the way down to the Jets (11.7%).
Detroit is at 49.9% following last night’s overtime win in Montreal.
Of course, while Holland may be loathe to roll the dice on a pending unrestricted free agent (a.k.a. a rental), he could still pull off a deal for a player with term remaining on his contract. Not surprisingly given yesterday’s report, there’s plenty of speculation about Michigan native Ryan Kesler possibly being traded to the Wings, though we tend to wonder if Holland isn’t all stocked up on injury-prone forwards.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)