Feb 27, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Detroit general manager Ken Holland has a dilemma. Like any GM, he’d like to improve his team before Wednesday’s trade deadline. However…
“Unfortunately, we’re on the bubble,” Holland told ESPN.com. “It’s hard to risk that if we miss the playoffs, to trade a high draft pick or a real top prospect for not even a playoff run. At the same time, we feel that the kids that we’ve got — Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco — they have really made a positive impact on our hockey team. Looks like they’re going to be around here for a while and they should be getting better.”
The Red Wings aren’t the only ones with a dilemma. Per Sports Club Stats, there are 16 teams that could be called “on the bubble,” starting with the Kings (at 91.8% to make the playoffs) all the way down to the Jets (11.7%).
Detroit is at 49.9% following last night’s overtime win in Montreal.
Of course, while Holland may be loathe to roll the dice on a pending unrestricted free agent (a.k.a. a rental), he could still pull off a deal for a player with term remaining on his contract. Not surprisingly given yesterday’s report, there’s plenty of speculation about Michigan native Ryan Kesler possibly being traded to the Wings, though we tend to wonder if Holland isn’t all stocked up on injury-prone forwards.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 12
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)