Feb 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Ryan Miller got the night off, but the Buffalo Sabres still showed off one of the top targets of the trade deadline on Wednesday. Matt Moulson scored a goal with less than a minute left in the third period, eventually opening the door for a 5-4 OT win against the Boston Bruins.
Moulson, 30, is playing like a man who’s hoping to land with a contender and grab a lucrative next contract as a pending free agent. He notched three assists in the final two games before the Olympic break and had an assist on Tuesday to go along with tonight’s big goal.
While his overall numbers in Buffalo (25 points in 41 games since being traded) aren’t out-of-this-world, he has two more games to make an impression on potential suitors. It’s a stretch to say that these are big games for Buffalo in the sense of this season, but big results from Moulson and Miller could inspire bigger dividends for the players and their team.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)