Feb 26, 2014, 9:52 PM EDT
Update: It didn’t take long for a rebuttal regarding a report that Ryan Kesler wants to part ways with the Vancouver Canucks. Both Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports and the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater report that Kesler’s agent Kurt Overhardt flatly denied such a notion.
Ryan Kesler has NOT requested a trade, his agent Kurt Overhardt tells me. Says reports saying so are "BS"—
Adrian Dater (@adater) February 27, 2014
TVA Sports’ Louis Jean reports that Kesler asked for a trade early in the 2013-14 season and still wants out. As you can see above, Kesler’s representatives already denied Jean’s report.
Jean believes that the Canucks might struggle to trade Kesler before the traded deadline and may instead need to wait until the 2014 NHL Draft in part because they’re seeking roster players instead of draft picks.
Even with the challenges of a complex deal in mind, Jean notes that the two-way forward’s potential availability would generate serious attention from around the NHL.
T.J. Oshie backed that much up to the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma:
Kuzma points out two signs that Vancouver’s relationship might have become a bit strained with the 29-year-old forward. Kesler was stripped of his alternate captain’s “A” and moved to wing from his natural center position.
If you’re already imagining Kesler in other jerseys, Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy believes that a trade to the New York Rangers (and a reunion with Alain Vigneault) seems unlikely.
Kesler won’t suit up for Vancouver on Wednesday, but it wouldn’t be wise to read too much into that, as he’s currently day-to-day with a hand injury. The Canucks face Oshie’s St. Louis Blues tonight.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)