Feb 26, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Botta reports that there is a “lot of interest” in the pending free agent, but CSNNE.com passes along word that such demands are too rich for the Boston Bruins’ tastes. They might bite on a lesser deal, though.
Simply put, the Bruins aren’t interested in dealing their first-rounder or a top prospect for MacDonald.
… It’s more likely that a group of B’s prospects including Alex Khokhlachev, Jordan Caron and David Warsofsky are in play during trade discussions, and Boston would be willing to talk trade with other picks aside from their first.
Specific to MacDonald, there’s also a concern that the Islanders defenseman isn’t much more than a fifth defenseman on a Cup-caliber team like the Bruins, and that he doesn’t play much bigger than his 6-foot, 180-pound frame.
MacDonald, 27, might be sold as a player you can save on now and then spend on later (if he fits in well during a potential audition).
MacDonald is one of the best bargains in the league right now, as he’s logging a ton of minutes (26:33 average) and generated a solid 24 points in 60 games played while carrying just a $550K salary.
Of course, those savings won’t last, as he’s on the trading block because he reportedly rejected a four-year, $16 million extension offer from the Islanders.
Whether it comes to an extension or a trade (or both), it sounds like it will be a matter of finding the right price for the underrated defenseman.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)