Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 PM EST
On Wednesday, St. Louis addressed the rumors… and didn’t exactly douse water on the flames. From the Tampa Bay Times:
“The only thing I can say about that is I’ve had conversations with Steve on my future here,” St. Louis said. “Out of respect for my teammates I think that’s all I’m going to say about that. I’m not going to get into answering this question every day. I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future here. Those conversations are between me and Steve.”
Asked about those conversations, Yzerman, too, declined to be specific.
“I’m not going to comment on trade rumors in this situation or any situation,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”
St. Louis was bitterly (and openly) disappointed about his Team Canada snub and, according to Sportsnet, had to sleep on the decision to join the team as an injury replacement after Steve Stamkos was ruled out.
Yzerman acknowledged the difficulty in leaving St. Louis off the team — “I can honestly say that’s not a decision that I enjoy making, it’s a tough one,” he said — and St. Louis wasn’t pleased either.
“You know for Team Canada, you guys can’t imagine how I feel,” St. Louis told reporters following the snub. “Obviously, I’m extremely disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.”
St. Louis eventually joined the team and helped Canada capture gold, firing three shots on goal in nearly seven minutes of action in a 3-0 over Sweden in the final.
On Sunday, though, things really got interesting.
Reports surfaced that the Rangers had inquired about obtaining St. Louis, with rumors suggesting New York was one of the teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause for, because he maintains a residence in nearby Connecticut.
On Wednesday, Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported he’s “heard from three different NHL people,” that St. Louis demanded a trade last month.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)