Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
On Wednesday, St. Louis addressed the rumors… and didn’t exactly douse water on the flames. From the Tampa Bay Times:
“The only thing I can say about that is I’ve had conversations with Steve on my future here,” St. Louis said. “Out of respect for my teammates I think that’s all I’m going to say about that. I’m not going to get into answering this question every day. I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future here. Those conversations are between me and Steve.”
Asked about those conversations, Yzerman, too, declined to be specific.
“I’m not going to comment on trade rumors in this situation or any situation,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”
St. Louis was bitterly (and openly) disappointed about his Team Canada snub and, according to Sportsnet, had to sleep on the decision to join the team as an injury replacement after Steve Stamkos was ruled out.
Yzerman acknowledged the difficulty in leaving St. Louis off the team — “I can honestly say that’s not a decision that I enjoy making, it’s a tough one,” he said — and St. Louis wasn’t pleased either.
“You know for Team Canada, you guys can’t imagine how I feel,” St. Louis told reporters following the snub. “Obviously, I’m extremely disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.”
St. Louis eventually joined the team and helped Canada capture gold, firing three shots on goal in nearly seven minutes of action in a 3-0 over Sweden in the final.
On Sunday, though, things really got interesting.
Reports surfaced that the Rangers had inquired about obtaining St. Louis, with rumors suggesting New York was one of the teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause for, because he maintains a residence in nearby Connecticut.
On Wednesday, Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported he’s “heard from three different NHL people,” that St. Louis demanded a trade last month.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)