Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 PM EST
On Wednesday, St. Louis addressed the rumors… and didn’t exactly douse water on the flames. From the Tampa Bay Times:
“The only thing I can say about that is I’ve had conversations with Steve on my future here,” St. Louis said. “Out of respect for my teammates I think that’s all I’m going to say about that. I’m not going to get into answering this question every day. I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future here. Those conversations are between me and Steve.”
Asked about those conversations, Yzerman, too, declined to be specific.
“I’m not going to comment on trade rumors in this situation or any situation,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”
St. Louis was bitterly (and openly) disappointed about his Team Canada snub and, according to Sportsnet, had to sleep on the decision to join the team as an injury replacement after Steve Stamkos was ruled out.
Yzerman acknowledged the difficulty in leaving St. Louis off the team — “I can honestly say that’s not a decision that I enjoy making, it’s a tough one,” he said — and St. Louis wasn’t pleased either.
“You know for Team Canada, you guys can’t imagine how I feel,” St. Louis told reporters following the snub. “Obviously, I’m extremely disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.”
St. Louis eventually joined the team and helped Canada capture gold, firing three shots on goal in nearly seven minutes of action in a 3-0 over Sweden in the final.
On Sunday, though, things really got interesting.
Reports surfaced that the Rangers had inquired about obtaining St. Louis, with rumors suggesting New York was one of the teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause for, because he maintains a residence in nearby Connecticut.
On Wednesday, Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported he’s “heard from three different NHL people,” that St. Louis demanded a trade last month.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)