Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
On Wednesday, St. Louis addressed the rumors… and didn’t exactly douse water on the flames. From the Tampa Bay Times:
“The only thing I can say about that is I’ve had conversations with Steve on my future here,” St. Louis said. “Out of respect for my teammates I think that’s all I’m going to say about that. I’m not going to get into answering this question every day. I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future here. Those conversations are between me and Steve.”
Asked about those conversations, Yzerman, too, declined to be specific.
“I’m not going to comment on trade rumors in this situation or any situation,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”
St. Louis was bitterly (and openly) disappointed about his Team Canada snub and, according to Sportsnet, had to sleep on the decision to join the team as an injury replacement after Steve Stamkos was ruled out.
Yzerman acknowledged the difficulty in leaving St. Louis off the team — “I can honestly say that’s not a decision that I enjoy making, it’s a tough one,” he said — and St. Louis wasn’t pleased either.
“You know for Team Canada, you guys can’t imagine how I feel,” St. Louis told reporters following the snub. “Obviously, I’m extremely disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.”
St. Louis eventually joined the team and helped Canada capture gold, firing three shots on goal in nearly seven minutes of action in a 3-0 over Sweden in the final.
On Sunday, though, things really got interesting.
Reports surfaced that the Rangers had inquired about obtaining St. Louis, with rumors suggesting New York was one of the teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause for, because he maintains a residence in nearby Connecticut.
On Wednesday, Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported he’s “heard from three different NHL people,” that St. Louis demanded a trade last month.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)