Looking to Bolt? St. Louis says ‘I’ve had conversations’ with Yzerman about future in Tampa Bay

Feb 26, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

Martin St. Louis Getty Images

Martin St. Louis has been at the center of numerous trade rumors recently, stemming from reports he demanded a trade out of Tampa Bay after Steve Yzerman left him off the Canadian Olympic team.

On Wednesday, St. Louis addressed the rumors… and didn’t exactly douse water on the flames. From the Tampa Bay Times:

“The only thing I can say about that is I’ve had conversations with Steve on my future here,” St. Louis said. “Out of respect for my teammates I think that’s all I’m going to say about that. I’m not going to get into answering this question every day. I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future here. Those conversations are between me and Steve.”

Asked about those conversations, Yzerman, too, declined to be specific.

“I’m not going to comment on trade rumors in this situation or any situation,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”

St. Louis was bitterly (and openly) disappointed about his Team Canada snub and, according to Sportsnet, had to sleep on the decision to join the team as an injury replacement after Steve Stamkos was ruled out.

Yzerman acknowledged the difficulty in leaving St. Louis off the team — “I can honestly say that’s not a decision that I enjoy making, it’s a tough one,” he said — and St. Louis wasn’t pleased either.

“You know for Team Canada, you guys can’t imagine how I feel,” St. Louis told reporters following the snub. “Obviously, I’m extremely disappointed. Let’s just leave it at that.”

St. Louis eventually joined the team and helped Canada capture gold, firing three shots on goal in nearly seven minutes of action in a 3-0 over Sweden in the final.

On Sunday, though, things really got interesting.

Reports surfaced that the Rangers had inquired about obtaining St. Louis, with rumors suggesting New York was one of the teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause for, because he maintains a residence in nearby Connecticut.

On Wednesday, Newsday’s Arthur Staple reported he’s “heard from three different NHL people,” that St. Louis demanded a trade last month.

1. flyerspsu - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Not sure why Tampa would trade him considering they are a playoff team

• bcsteele - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Cause St. Louis is not happy with his GM and may want out?

I don’t think the team is the one trying to move him; I think the article is saying he wants to leave.

• joey4id - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Agreed! The word is that he is extremely bitter about being left off the team at the outset.

• flyerspsu - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM

well then i guess that answers the “why” i asked, also the team is incredibly young so it also would make sense to trade him while hes still an elite player for some younger assets, i actually tried to unpost the comment but it went through anyway

2. smarshall3789 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I love st.louis and I love yzerman more I just find it hard to believe they can’t get along! I mean Stevie is one of the better gms in the league why would you want out! I understand the olympic snub but seriously he had a job to do and that was put the best team together! It’s not like he left you off the Stanley cup finals roster. If I’m st.louis I stay I mean really you’re the captain the point leader and a role model for the younger guys in the orginization he needs to stay and work it out with Stevie y

• rbbbaron - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Managing egos is a big part of the job, and even more so when you have obligations to two different team (here TB and Team Canada). Prior to the roster announcement Yzerman seemed pretty stressed out and he was talking about how the alumni game in Detroit was a welcome distraction from the tough decisions– you had to know that he was anticipating some blow-back from St. Louis.

Full disclosure: as a Det fan, I’d like to see the situation resolve itself by St. Louis staying in TB and Yzerman taking over Holland after a surprise resignation in the next few weeks (wishful thinking…)

• joey4id - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Is it ego or pride? St. Louis’ ego is about the size of a pea.

BTW, I do believe that we’ll eventually see Stevie Y. land in Detroit. Matter of fact I wrote that here a couple of days ago. He’s going to go down as one of the great builders.

• storminator16 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM

You really think a pro athlete and future Hall of Famer has no ego to stroke? Ha, hockey players have hockey fans so fooled.

• laxnhockey - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

If St. Louis’ ego were the size of a pea, he would not have accomplished all that he has in his career. Call it pride or ego, in this case it’s the same thing.

Given St. Louis’ stature, Y should do what he can to deliver what it is Marty wants.

• dueman - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I think that it’s more like journalists have hockey fans so fooled! Halford is using a tweet from none other than the ever so smart (sarcasm!) Nick Kypreos as the source of this story. The tweet actually said that “It’s believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada.” Its believed? It’s believed by who….Kypreos? I believe in UFO’s, and Bigfoot….If I tweet that, does that make their existence fact? Not to mention how the original tweet said St. Louis asked for a trade, and Halford has now changed that to “demanded a trade”

All I’m saying is don’t buy into everything you read without really looking into it. Every sports network has trade deadline shows coming up, and they need stories, so you are going to hear more rumors than you can shake a stick at over the next week, and most will be media invented.

• jovocop2112 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM

YOU CANT HAVE HIM. I wouldn’t be able to handle losing the best GM the Bolts have ever had :(

• hockey412 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM

And plus it’s Tampa Bay. Marty clearly has no idea how rough this winter has been up north. (in all seriousness I’m sure he’s aware – but come on…it’s Tampa Bay).

• Rricardinho - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:20 AM

better than Espo?

3. stepanup - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM

This rumor just won’t go away will it?

• 7mantel - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Media outlets love to run stories without researching the story !

• joey4id - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM

It’s not a rumor when the main charcater says; “I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future with the team and I’ll leave it at that”

It’s not an admission, and certainly not a denial that he asked for trade. Obvious that he wants to move, and he gets to choose the team because of his no trade clause.

• 7mantel - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I believe he meant the rumor about St louis n Callahan . Second Staple is wrong most of the time !

• joey4id - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Ok. BTW, Callahan for St. Louis is not a bad deal for NYR. Better than losing him to free agency. TBL would have to make sure they can come to terms with him before he bolts (pun intended) out of TB should they make this trade.

4. runhigh24 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I can understand his frustration but it reflects poorly on him as a captain if he wanted to walk out on him teammates because he got snubbed.

• jb8588 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I couldn’t agree more. As a die-hard Bolts fan, I think it’s a pretty lousy to demand a trade from your NHL team because of an Olympic snub. This just gives me a another reason to dislike the NHL competition in the Olympics…now it’s getting to the point where one of our best players potentially wants out because of an Olympic snub. I always felt Marty was better than that as a person.

• laxnhockey - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Are you sure it’s limited to an Olympic snub? What does that Olympic snub really say about the confidence the GM has in St. Louis come crunch time? Either you believe he’s one of the guys you need and want or you don’t and Y made his decision pretty clear.

5. ndrick731 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

He needs to act like a big boy and stop acting like somebody stole his cookies. Grow up and act like a professional.

• dirt2013 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM

St.Louis has played lights out since the snub and had his conversation with his GM behind closed doors. That is how “big boys” should handle things as a matter of fact.

6. beergold - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Steve Y calls it quits as Team Canada boss…….this trade stuff comes up.. St. Louis obviously upset…..no coincidence here folks. Too many hard feelings, too many hard choices, too many sleepless nights, a TB dressing room wondering WTF before a stretch playoff run. This will not turn out well for the Bolts!

7. muttbolts91 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Why punish all tampa fans over this.

8. withseidelinn - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM

He’s 38. Tampa is a good team but they aren’t going to win the cup. He has 1, maybe 2 seasons left. This is the same type of situation that it was with Iginla. The guy obviously wants to end his career with a cup. Don’t blame him, but it would be a big loss for the Bolts. They would get a great return though, and Marty is probably one of if not the best rentals available.

• jb8588 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

FYI, Marty already has his cup. And on top of that, how can you say he only has one or two seasons left in him? Have you seen his play this season? Obviously not.

• laxnhockey - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM

So you think a professional athlete with Marty’s accomplishments is satisfied with one Cup? Not is this world.

When you consider his small stature, the physical nature and demands of the game and then throw in his age, you have to think he’s playing his last few seasons. Some would say he was playing on borrowed time from the minute he laced up his skates in his first NHL game.

• withseidelinn - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I said END his career with a cup. I’d assume that’s how most guys want to leave the game. Marty knows he’s good enough that any contender will want him for a late push.

9. muttbolts91 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM

If jagr can play into his 40s, Marty can also. My opinion

10. ntvd7 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

He’s not going anywhere….

Long time scorer, leader, captain, with roots in Tampa

Enough with these bogus rumors

• storminator16 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You missed the part in which he inquired about moving on, didn’t you?

• dueman - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Where in Marty’s quote did he say that? I’m not sure what you were reading, but I never read that…

• stakex - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Two months ago Rangers fans said the same thing about Callahan….

All the rumors point to St Louis wanting out of Tampa, and if that wasn’t true he would have denied it. The fact that he didn’t at all deny the rumors, even if he didn’t come out and confirm them, tells you all you need to know. If a top player wants to be moved, they will almost certainly be moved.

11. boltsfan777 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Man, he has a gold medal, he’s the respected captain of a team that has a good chance to make a Cup run, he’s loved in Tampa, and belongs to what is now an excellent organization, for which we really have to thank Vinik and Yzerman for. Look at the talent pipeline they have.. it’s amazing. How can he be that unhappy to want to leave? Hockey in Tampa is fun once again. The people I play with at the local ice rinks are pumped about the Lightning.

Steve Y. obviously has a thick skin, and a team captain needs the same. I hope this is an overblown story and that he’s just blowing off steam. I wish he could be more objective about the Olympic decision. Yzerman wasn’t the lone decision maker, and so what if he agreed with the other members of the committee. Doesn’t he have to not play favorites?

• laxnhockey - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Yzerman was the GM of Team Canada, the final decision was his to make and he blew it.

Of course part of me also thinks this may have been the grand plan all along. Select Stamkos knowing he wasn’t going to be healthy & recovered on time and keep it in house by replacing him with St. Louis. The problem is St. Louis is having another great season coupled with the fact he’s the team captain and deserved to be on the team; Stevie Y just screwed it up.

Chalk it up to lack of experience in this role, after all he’s a hockey player not a front office guy. Hockey players don’t have the reputation for being the class valedictorian.

12. flyboystransport - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Yzerman is a great builder? Tampa has made the playoffs how many times since he’s been there? I dont the crap homer gets for overpaying players to bad contracts. Other than bryz who has been over paid?

• hjb99992013 - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM

you’re not too bright if you believe this

• flyboystransport - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Gimme a name……. giroux(who leads the nhl in points the last 4 seasons) got the same money kessel, perry and getzlaf got. The market for a top 4 d is 5 million a year and akl their d except timmonen are around 4 million. Hartnell, read, simmonds and voracek would all be over 5 million on the open market.

13. hjb99992013 - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM

typical french whiner….he should go cry on Pauline Marois lap

14. tampabayirish - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM

The Lightning are going to make the playoffs this year. However, they are not going to win the cup. If you can get a great deal, I am not opposed to trading Marty. You can’t fall in love with a player. For a price, everyone is tradable. Yzerman has to take the long view of the big picture. Best of luck to Marty wherever he ends up.

• laxnhockey - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM

And where is it written that the Bolts are not going to win the Cup?

The Bolts just happen to have the best young goalie in the game today and anyone with a morsel of hockey sense knows what a hot young goalie can do for a team during the playoffs.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D