Feb 26, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
It won’t fill the massive void John Tavares leaves behind and it probably won’t cool New York Islanders GM Garth Snow’s temper, but at least it’s something: the IOC’s insurance will cover Tavares’ salary during his injury absence.
Consider this another minor silver lining for the Islanders, as it appears the 23-year-old won’t need surgery on a partially torn MCL. (It’s worth noting that knee injuries can be tricky, however, so we’ll see how his rehab goes along.)
Snow slammed the IIHF/IOC as a “joke” and asked if they would reimburse Islanders season ticket holders for the injury following the tough news on Feb. 20. Obviously, that isn’t the case, but that insurance policy will cover the ongoing portion of Tavares’ $5 million salary for however long he’s absent from the Isles’ lineup.
(Tavares is still expected to miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season, even with some optimistic early reactions to his knee issues.)
If Isles fans need a more obvious positive number, consider this: Tavares’ contract carries a manageable $5.5 million cap hit through 2017-18. Granted, that’s a big picture factor, but still.
In the shorter term, the Islanders hope to make up for the loss of their captain by giving greater opportunities to younger players. The Isles get back into action against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)