Feb 26, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
It won’t fill the massive void John Tavares leaves behind and it probably won’t cool New York Islanders GM Garth Snow’s temper, but at least it’s something: the IOC’s insurance will cover Tavares’ salary during his injury absence.
Consider this another minor silver lining for the Islanders, as it appears the 23-year-old won’t need surgery on a partially torn MCL. (It’s worth noting that knee injuries can be tricky, however, so we’ll see how his rehab goes along.)
Snow slammed the IIHF/IOC as a “joke” and asked if they would reimburse Islanders season ticket holders for the injury following the tough news on Feb. 20. Obviously, that isn’t the case, but that insurance policy will cover the ongoing portion of Tavares’ $5 million salary for however long he’s absent from the Isles’ lineup.
(Tavares is still expected to miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season, even with some optimistic early reactions to his knee issues.)
If Isles fans need a more obvious positive number, consider this: Tavares’ contract carries a manageable $5.5 million cap hit through 2017-18. Granted, that’s a big picture factor, but still.
In the shorter term, the Islanders hope to make up for the loss of their captain by giving greater opportunities to younger players. The Isles get back into action against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)