Feb 26, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
It won’t fill the massive void John Tavares leaves behind and it probably won’t cool New York Islanders GM Garth Snow’s temper, but at least it’s something: the IOC’s insurance will cover Tavares’ salary during his injury absence.
Consider this another minor silver lining for the Islanders, as it appears the 23-year-old won’t need surgery on a partially torn MCL. (It’s worth noting that knee injuries can be tricky, however, so we’ll see how his rehab goes along.)
Snow slammed the IIHF/IOC as a “joke” and asked if they would reimburse Islanders season ticket holders for the injury following the tough news on Feb. 20. Obviously, that isn’t the case, but that insurance policy will cover the ongoing portion of Tavares’ $5 million salary for however long he’s absent from the Isles’ lineup.
(Tavares is still expected to miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season, even with some optimistic early reactions to his knee issues.)
If Isles fans need a more obvious positive number, consider this: Tavares’ contract carries a manageable $5.5 million cap hit through 2017-18. Granted, that’s a big picture factor, but still.
In the shorter term, the Islanders hope to make up for the loss of their captain by giving greater opportunities to younger players. The Isles get back into action against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)