Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another day, another NHL player sidelined with an injury suffered in Sochi.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced that Carey Price will miss the next two games with a lower-body injury he re-aggravated during the Olympics.
Price took Wednesday’s morning skate — Montreal hosts Detroit tonight — and left after making a stop in a drill, favoring his leg. He didn’t return to the ice and, shortly after the skate, the Habs recalled Dustin Tokarski from their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
If you’re wondering why Price was practicing with a preexisting injury, you’re not alone:
If Price was dealing with a lower body injury, why in the world would he be taking shots on a 5-0 pp practice cold. Not a wise decision.
— Mike Johnson (@mike_p_johnson) February 26, 2014
Price, 26, is coming off a stellar Olympics in which he backstopped Canada to gold and was named the top goaltender of the tournament after going 5-0-0 with a 0.59 goals-against average, .972 save percentage and two shutouts.
As mentioned above, the list of players hurt in Sochi seems to be growing by the day:
– Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
– Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
– Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
— Penguins defenseman Paul Martin broke his hand prior to the U.S.’s semifinal loss to Canada, and will miss the next 4-6 weeks.
– Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
– Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
– Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien said Price is day-to-day, but won’t travel with the club to Pittsburgh for Thursday’s game against the Penguins.
Update: Interesting here, from CBC…
Babcock said he had no idea about any injury to Price at Olympics and he played great for Team Canada.
— Andie Bennett (@AndieCBC) February 26, 2014
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)