Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another day, another NHL player sidelined with an injury suffered in Sochi.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced that Carey Price will miss the next two games with a lower-body injury he re-aggravated during the Olympics.
Price took Wednesday’s morning skate — Montreal hosts Detroit tonight — and left after making a stop in a drill, favoring his leg. He didn’t return to the ice and, shortly after the skate, the Habs recalled Dustin Tokarski from their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
If you’re wondering why Price was practicing with a preexisting injury, you’re not alone:
If Price was dealing with a lower body injury, why in the world would he be taking shots on a 5-0 pp practice cold. Not a wise decision.
— Mike Johnson (@mike_p_johnson) February 26, 2014
Price, 26, is coming off a stellar Olympics in which he backstopped Canada to gold and was named the top goaltender of the tournament after going 5-0-0 with a 0.59 goals-against average, .972 save percentage and two shutouts.
As mentioned above, the list of players hurt in Sochi seems to be growing by the day:
– Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
– Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
– Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
– Penguins defenseman Paul Martin broke his hand prior to the U.S.’s semifinal loss to Canada, and will miss the next 4-6 weeks.
– Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
– Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
– Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien said Price is day-to-day, but won’t travel with the club to Pittsburgh for Thursday’s game against the Penguins.
Update: Interesting here, from CBC…
Babcock said he had no idea about any injury to Price at Olympics and he played great for Team Canada.
— Andie Bennett (@AndieCBC) February 26, 2014
Aug 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
He died in the plane crash that killed the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team in 2011.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The NHL changed the process for the Draft Lottery on Wednesday.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
We know it’s not surprising, but just go along with it.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
A Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe in separate years is a nice legacy.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
No one scored more Pens goals than he did the past three seasons.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Call it an audition if you want.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
“He has instructed me to do all I can to facilitate a return to the Twin Cities.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
He was quite good.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”
Aug 21, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
“I talked with Todd today, and he never mentioned anything about captains or assistant captains.”
Aug 21, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
All the first-time NHL head coach has to do is get Pittsburgh to the promised land. No biggie.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Or until a successor is found.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The 23-year-old defenseman may get a real shot this season.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They were teammates in Calgary for two seasons.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The pressure is on Sid and Geno now after a summer of change.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
And it was all The Great One’s idea.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
He can be an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Recovery from offseason wrist surgery put things in doubt.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He missed most of last season with a torn ACL.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Giroux and Voracek will need someone new to run with them.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 3
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54