Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
Another day, another NHL player sidelined with an injury suffered in Sochi.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced that Carey Price will miss the next two games with a lower-body injury he re-aggravated during the Olympics.
Price took Wednesday’s morning skate — Montreal hosts Detroit tonight — and left after making a stop in a drill, favoring his leg. He didn’t return to the ice and, shortly after the skate, the Habs recalled Dustin Tokarski from their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
If you’re wondering why Price was practicing with a preexisting injury, you’re not alone:
If Price was dealing with a lower body injury, why in the world would he be taking shots on a 5-0 pp practice cold. Not a wise decision.
— Mike Johnson (@mike_p_johnson) February 26, 2014
Price, 26, is coming off a stellar Olympics in which he backstopped Canada to gold and was named the top goaltender of the tournament after going 5-0-0 with a 0.59 goals-against average, .972 save percentage and two shutouts.
As mentioned above, the list of players hurt in Sochi seems to be growing by the day:
– Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
– Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
– Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
– Penguins defenseman Paul Martin broke his hand prior to the U.S.’s semifinal loss to Canada, and will miss the next 4-6 weeks.
– Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
– Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
– Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien said Price is day-to-day, but won’t travel with the club to Pittsburgh for Thursday’s game against the Penguins.
Update: Interesting here, from CBC…
Babcock said he had no idea about any injury to Price at Olympics and he played great for Team Canada.
— Andie Bennett (@AndieCBC) February 26, 2014
Dec 18, 2014, 8:34 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:25 AM EST
Vancouver has now lost a season-high five straight.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Chris Stewart is one name, which has been linked to Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:40 AM EST
He’s even walking under his own power according to the report.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 AM EST
Calgary signed Bob Hartley to a multi-year extension Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
The Devils have lost five straight.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Boston snaps three game skid.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Jason Akeson was in on the action for the Flyers’ affiliate.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:41 PM EST
New Jersey has lost five straight on home ice.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
New Jersey has now lost five straight.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Detroit ranks 30th this season in fighting majors.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury is unavailable Thursday.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
He’s in his third season with the Wild.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Jaskin recalled from the American Hockey League.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Boston looks to snap a three-game skid.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Has not played since Nov. 18.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Hasn’t played since suffering a groin injury Nov. 2.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Rivalry Night affair on NBCSN.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
It’s the first time the league has made a fine public for embellishment.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Currently has Calgary in the thick of the Western Conference playoff chase.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11