Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another day, another NHL player sidelined with an injury suffered in Sochi.
On Wednesday, Montreal announced that Carey Price will miss the next two games with a lower-body injury he re-aggravated during the Olympics.
Price took Wednesday’s morning skate — Montreal hosts Detroit tonight — and left after making a stop in a drill, favoring his leg. He didn’t return to the ice and, shortly after the skate, the Habs recalled Dustin Tokarski from their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
If you’re wondering why Price was practicing with a preexisting injury, you’re not alone:
If Price was dealing with a lower body injury, why in the world would he be taking shots on a 5-0 pp practice cold. Not a wise decision.
— Mike Johnson (@mike_p_johnson) February 26, 2014
Price, 26, is coming off a stellar Olympics in which he backstopped Canada to gold and was named the top goaltender of the tournament after going 5-0-0 with a 0.59 goals-against average, .972 save percentage and two shutouts.
As mentioned above, the list of players hurt in Sochi seems to be growing by the day:
– Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
– Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
– Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
— Penguins defenseman Paul Martin broke his hand prior to the U.S.’s semifinal loss to Canada, and will miss the next 4-6 weeks.
– Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
– Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
– Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien said Price is day-to-day, but won’t travel with the club to Pittsburgh for Thursday’s game against the Penguins.
Update: Interesting here, from CBC…
Babcock said he had no idea about any injury to Price at Olympics and he played great for Team Canada.
— Andie Bennett (@AndieCBC) February 26, 2014
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)