Canucks GM plays it coy with Kesler rumors

Feb 26, 2014, 11:26 PM EST

Mike Gillis AP

Could there be some trade talks regarding Ryan Kesler? Kesler’s agent denies TVA Sports’ Louis Jean’s report that Kesler made such a request, yet Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis seemed to leave the door open about the two-way player being moved.

At the very least, he didn’t exactly slam the door shut on the possibility, as the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma reports.

“Nothing has changed,” Gillis said. “Some report came out of Sochi. I won’t comment on it under any circumstances and whether Ryan asked or didn’t ask (for a trade). I’m not discussing this. I don’t know who Louis Jean is, I never met the guy. He could have called me.”

While that seems like an elaborate “no comment,” his follow-up is a bit more intriguing.

That’s certainly not the emphatic statement that Kesler’s agent made, one way or another. Could this be Gillis’ way of saying that he’ll at least listen to offers?

Kesler, of course, would have to waive his no-trade clause for that to happen. It sounds like the likelihood of that happening varies depending upon who you ask.

1. smarshall3789 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Come home to Detroit please

2. tn16 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:38 PM

What u getting for him though

3. jennettalia - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

4. jazz11001 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Yeah he talked with Suter and Parise so make your own conclusion but I would look at Vanek and Kesler and Miller all going Wild!

• leafs2013 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM

You know there is this thing called the salary cap right?

• fightingwild - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

The Wild will have close to 22 Million open & only 3 slots to fill, also a good chance Harding Retires due to his medical issues. That would make roughly 24 million I believe. The Wild could easily fit all those players under the umbrella. What would cause problems is when all the baby Wild players renew their contracts, Granlund, Coyle, Dumba, Brodin etc. It certainly is a nice problem to have. Then again I am not very high on Vanek anyways.

• purpleguy - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM

If this were remotely true, it would probably be the first attempt to build an NHL team with virtually no Canadian players (yeah, I know there are some).

5. canucks30 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Regardless of whether he is traded or not, I don’t see Kesler signing an extension in 2 years.

6. withseidelinn - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Just throwing out an idea here – does anyone think the Leafs would make a run at this guy and use Bolland as their main chip? I know more would have to be coming Vancouver’s way (prospect or pick, maybe a combination), but I feel like Kesler is the exact type of player Nonis wants. Let me know what you think..

7. 7mantel - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Just a thought, Callahan and Torts reunited

8. jpat2424 - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM

The guy is hurt to much

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches