Feb 25, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
While (still fairly new) Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray played it coy here and there, he didn’t make any bones about it: the ideal situation would probably involve Ryan Miller being traded to a contender with the Sabres getting “value” back. At this very moment, a contract extension isn’t in the works.
As PHT’s Joe Yerdon notes, Murray seems like he’s looking for prospects already a little bit into their development, at least if he gets his way.
Murray admits that the trade market has been pretty quite so far, although he also gave an interesting gauge of interest for Miller: more than two teams but less than 10 are inquiring about the 33-year-old netminder.
He also details some of the discussions regarding agitating forward Steve Ott and the possibility of Ted Nolan getting the interim tag removed from his head coaching title. Here’s full video of the Sabres press conference, which happened before NHL play resumed between Buffalo and the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday:
Speaking of Murray’s trade talks, his uncle Bryan is trying to land a deal for the Ottawa Senators. Bryan admitted that he’s given his nephew a call, but as he told Senators Extra, it doesn’t sound like there will be any family discounts.
“I made a proposal on one and he said, ‘it’s all business, Bryan, you know that.’” Bryan Murray said. “He’s asking high.”
The big question with the trade deadline rapidly approaching is: will he back down enough to get something done? So far, this appears to be the calm before the storm (unless Tim Murray is underselling his hand, of course).
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)