Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks will kick off their post-Olympics schedule with a contest in Philadelphia on Thursday, but they’ll have to do so without Brad Stuart.
The 34-year-old defenseman won’t participate in the Sharks’ upcoming three-game road trip due to an upper-body injury he sustained during their last contest before the break on Feb. 7. He hasn’t practiced for a couple days as a result of the ailment, but he did skate on Monday.
When Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he saw this as a long-term or short-term injury, he pointed out that its already technically been a while given that Stuart’s had weeks to heal up. Beyond that, he suggested that the team is playing it by ear when it comes to the timetable.
“He won’t get through this road trip. After that, we’ll see where he is when we get back,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
San Jose ranks eighth with a 83.7% success rate when it comes to killing penalties this season and Brad Stuart has played a significant role in that. He also ranks second on the team in hits (100) and third in blocked shots (101).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)