Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks will kick off their post-Olympics schedule with a contest in Philadelphia on Thursday, but they’ll have to do so without Brad Stuart.
The 34-year-old defenseman won’t participate in the Sharks’ upcoming three-game road trip due to an upper-body injury he sustained during their last contest before the break on Feb. 7. He hasn’t practiced for a couple days as a result of the ailment, but he did skate on Monday.
When Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he saw this as a long-term or short-term injury, he pointed out that its already technically been a while given that Stuart’s had weeks to heal up. Beyond that, he suggested that the team is playing it by ear when it comes to the timetable.
“He won’t get through this road trip. After that, we’ll see where he is when we get back,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
San Jose ranks eighth with a 83.7% success rate when it comes to killing penalties this season and Brad Stuart has played a significant role in that. He also ranks second on the team in hits (100) and third in blocked shots (101).
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)