Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks will kick off their post-Olympics schedule with a contest in Philadelphia on Thursday, but they’ll have to do so without Brad Stuart.
The 34-year-old defenseman won’t participate in the Sharks’ upcoming three-game road trip due to an upper-body injury he sustained during their last contest before the break on Feb. 7. He hasn’t practiced for a couple days as a result of the ailment, but he did skate on Monday.
When Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he saw this as a long-term or short-term injury, he pointed out that its already technically been a while given that Stuart’s had weeks to heal up. Beyond that, he suggested that the team is playing it by ear when it comes to the timetable.
“He won’t get through this road trip. After that, we’ll see where he is when we get back,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
San Jose ranks eighth with a 83.7% success rate when it comes to killing penalties this season and Brad Stuart has played a significant role in that. He also ranks second on the team in hits (100) and third in blocked shots (101).
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)