Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks will kick off their post-Olympics schedule with a contest in Philadelphia on Thursday, but they’ll have to do so without Brad Stuart.
The 34-year-old defenseman won’t participate in the Sharks’ upcoming three-game road trip due to an upper-body injury he sustained during their last contest before the break on Feb. 7. He hasn’t practiced for a couple days as a result of the ailment, but he did skate on Monday.
When Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he saw this as a long-term or short-term injury, he pointed out that its already technically been a while given that Stuart’s had weeks to heal up. Beyond that, he suggested that the team is playing it by ear when it comes to the timetable.
“He won’t get through this road trip. After that, we’ll see where he is when we get back,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
San Jose ranks eighth with a 83.7% success rate when it comes to killing penalties this season and Brad Stuart has played a significant role in that. He also ranks second on the team in hits (100) and third in blocked shots (101).
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)