Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks will kick off their post-Olympics schedule with a contest in Philadelphia on Thursday, but they’ll have to do so without Brad Stuart.
The 34-year-old defenseman won’t participate in the Sharks’ upcoming three-game road trip due to an upper-body injury he sustained during their last contest before the break on Feb. 7. He hasn’t practiced for a couple days as a result of the ailment, but he did skate on Monday.
When Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he saw this as a long-term or short-term injury, he pointed out that its already technically been a while given that Stuart’s had weeks to heal up. Beyond that, he suggested that the team is playing it by ear when it comes to the timetable.
“He won’t get through this road trip. After that, we’ll see where he is when we get back,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area.
San Jose ranks eighth with a 83.7% success rate when it comes to killing penalties this season and Brad Stuart has played a significant role in that. He also ranks second on the team in hits (100) and third in blocked shots (101).
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)