Feb 25, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
After scoring just once in Sochi and getting bounced in the quarterfinals, Alex Ovechkin apologized for his — and Russia’s — lackluster performance at the Winter Olympics.
“I want to say sorry to the fans because it’s once in a lifetime opportunity to represent your country in the Olympics.” Ovechkin said, per AP. “You didn’t get the results, you didn’t get any medal.”
Ovechkin, an alternate captain for Russia in Sochi, was one of the country’s biggest underachievers at the Games. He scored 77 seconds into a tournament-opening win over Slovenia but failed to score again, and was largely a non-factor as Russia managed just two regulation wins all tournament — against Slovenia and Norway — needing a shootout to defeat Slovakia in the final group game.
The Russians were then eliminated by the Finns in the quarterfinals, a disappointing result for the hosts. Comparatively speaking, the U.S. won silver at the ’02 Games in Salt Lake, and the Canadians won gold four years ago in Vancouver.
Ovechkin said that age and maturity will help him cope with the big disappointment.
“I’m almost 30,” he explained, per the Washington Times. “I have to handle it.”
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)