Feb 25, 2014, 3:09 PM EST
After scoring just once in Sochi and getting bounced in the quarterfinals, Alex Ovechkin apologized for his — and Russia’s — lackluster performance at the Winter Olympics.
“I want to say sorry to the fans because it’s once in a lifetime opportunity to represent your country in the Olympics.” Ovechkin said, per AP. “You didn’t get the results, you didn’t get any medal.”
Ovechkin, an alternate captain for Russia in Sochi, was one of the country’s biggest underachievers at the Games. He scored 77 seconds into a tournament-opening win over Slovenia but failed to score again, and was largely a non-factor as Russia managed just two regulation wins all tournament — against Slovenia and Norway — needing a shootout to defeat Slovakia in the final group game.
The Russians were then eliminated by the Finns in the quarterfinals, a disappointing result for the hosts. Comparatively speaking, the U.S. won silver at the ’02 Games in Salt Lake, and the Canadians won gold four years ago in Vancouver.
Ovechkin said that age and maturity will help him cope with the big disappointment.
“I’m almost 30,” he explained, per the Washington Times. “I have to handle it.”
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)