Feb 25, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Call it youthful enthusiasm, or straight naivete — whatever the case, Flames rookie Sean Monahan is talking playoffs.
“We’re going to push for a spot to get in the playoffs and we think we can do it,” Monahan told the Calgary Sun. “We’re going to push every game and see what we can do.”
The Flames sit second from last in the Western Conference at the time of writing, 13 points shy of Dallas for the last wild card playoff spot. According to Sports Club Stats, Calgary has a zero percent chance of making the postseason.
So yes, Monahan’s view of his team’s chances seems ambitious.
But it’s easy to see the big picture here. Head coach Bob Hartley was hired to teach his young team, and he sees a learning opportunity on the horizon. If he can get his players to buy into the theory they still have a chance at the postseason — and treat pending matchups against teams jockeying for postseason position like playoff games — the Flames stand to gain something from these final 24 games. More than they would by simply playing out the string, anyway.
“We told the players that we’re entering playoff mentality,” he explained. “You’ll see it in practices where our entire environment will be around playoffs. Just like we’re going to approach every game like a playoff game.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)