Feb 25, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Marian Gaborik wasn’t able to heal up enough to participate in the 2014 Olympics, but it sounds like he’ll be back from a broken collarbone before the trade deadline.
The Columbus Blue Jackets’ Web site reports that Gaborik is preparing as if he’ll be ready to go on Thursday. That doesn’t mean the 32-year-old is guaranteed to suit up for that specific game, but it implies that he could be back soon.
“Obviously games are totally different than practice, and it’s hard to mimic a lot of things in practice,” Gaborik said. “But I feel good enough to jump back in and have a good practice tomorrow, then we’ll go from there.”
He already missed 22 games since that injury, which came in his first game back from another ailment. (Gaborik has dealt with such bad injury luck quite a few times in his NHL career, sadly.)
Here’s the Blue Jackets’ schedule before the trade deadline, which very well may act as an audition for the veteran winger, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer and isn’t expected to return to the Blue Jackets:
Thursday: at New Jersey
Saturday: vs. Florida
Monday: at Toronto
Tuesday: vs. Dallas
Those three or four games could very well convince a team to roll the dice on the speedy winger, as the Blue Jackets did last season.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 47
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63