Feb 25, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers sent two players to the 2014 Winter Olympics and lost them both. Forwards Aleksander Barkov and Tomas Kopecky are both listed as being out indefinitely as the NHL schedule resumes, according to the Sun Sentinel.
Barkov sustained a knee injury during Finland’s game against Norway. The Finnish Broadcasting Company suggested that he could be out for up to six weeks, but the Panthers might err on the side of caution and shut him down for the remainder of the season given that they have no realistic chance of making the playoffs anyways.
If that’s the case, then it’s an unfortunate end to an encouraging rookie season for the 18-year-old. Barkov is tied for 10th among rookies with 24 points in 54 games this season.
Kopecky was hurt when he was hit in the head by Slovenian defenseman Sabahudin Kovacevic while he was playing for Slovakia. As feared, Kopecky has a concussion as a result of the incident.
Kopecky is signed through the 2014-15 campaign, but the Panthers might have traded the 32-year-old forward before the deadline if he wasn’t hurt.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)