Feb 25, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Another NHLer will miss significant time due to an injury suffered in Sochi.
Martin, 32, has had a miserable year in terms of health. He missed two games early in the season with a lower-body issue, then another 23 after fracturing his tibia in late November. The veteran rearguard was able to return to the Pittsburgh lineup in late January and play a handful of games before heading to the Olympics, only to see his Sochi experience end on a sour note (this coming after he failed to get a game at Turin ’06, and missed the ’10 Games in Vancouver because of a broken left forearm.)
As mentioned above, Martin is just the latest to suffer a significant injury at the Winter Olympics:
— Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
— Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
— Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
— Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
— Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
— Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
For the Penguins, losing Martin is doubly tough given fellow defenseman Kris Letang is out indefinitely after suffering a stroke in January.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)