Feb 25, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Another NHLer will miss significant time due to an injury suffered in Sochi.
Martin, 32, has had a miserable year in terms of health. He missed two games early in the season with a lower-body issue, then another 23 after fracturing his tibia in late November. The veteran rearguard was able to return to the Pittsburgh lineup in late January and play a handful of games before heading to the Olympics, only to see his Sochi experience end on a sour note (this coming after he failed to get a game at Turin ’06, and missed the ’10 Games in Vancouver because of a broken left forearm.)
As mentioned above, Martin is just the latest to suffer a significant injury at the Winter Olympics:
— Islanders captain John Tavares tore his MCL playing for Canada, and will miss the remainder of the season.
— Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg re-injured his back in Sweden’s tournament opener, underwent surgery and will be out eight weeks.
— Rangers leading scorer Mats Zuccarello broke his hand in the Norway’s final group game, and will be out 3-4 weeks.
— Florida rookie Aleksander Barkov hurt his knee playing for Finland, and will be out indefinitely.
— Florida forward Tomas Kopecky suffered a concussion playing for Slovakia, and is also out indefinitely.
— Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin suffered an ankle sprain playing for Russia, and is out 2-3 weeks.
For the Penguins, losing Martin is doubly tough given fellow defenseman Kris Letang is out indefinitely after suffering a stroke in January.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25