Feb 24, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens would like to keep defenseman Andrei Markov once his current contract expires this summer, but they’re not eager to risk inking him to a multi-year deal.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has extended a one-year, $6 million contract extension to the 35-year-old defenseman, according to TSN 690’s Tony Marinaro. That would represent a slight increase over his existing $5.75 million annual salary, but Markov is hoping for a three-year deal.
Markov remains a top-tier offensive defenseman and is particularly effective with the man advantage. He has 31 points in 59 contests this season and ranks 11th in the NHL with an average of 25:04 minutes per game.
He was just as good last season, but before that he played in only 65 games over three seasons due to knee injuries. Between his history and his age, it’s not hard to see why Montreal might view him as a risk.
Montreal also needs to re-sign defenseman P.K. Subban, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent and is likely to command a massive salary after winning the Norris Trophy in 2013.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)