Feb 24, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
“I thought we were all over the place,” Krejci said, per MetroWest Daily News. “We didn’t even know what we were doing at some points.”
The Czechs were a study in dysfunction during the Olympics. They slogged through a listless opening round, winning just one in three tries amidst questionable player selection (see here), illness (see here and here) and a curious distribution of ice time (see here).
Starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec was scratched for a tournament-opening loss to Sweden, then proceeded to start the remaining games — before he was hooked in a quarterfinal loss to the U.S. During the tourney, the Globe and Mail wrote that some of the Czech players were “apparently not even on speaking terms” with Hadamczik, who had his coaching acumen come under fire:
You don’t have to dig very deep to find those that question [Hadamczik’s] methods in general, including going back to a seventh place finish at the worlds last year in Stockholm, where players took issue with many of the decisions being made.
He seemed uncertain who to use in shootouts, for one thing, and deferred to veteran players during key games for strategic decisions.
[Jan] Hejda made more pointed comments when he was left off the Olympic team last month, coming out in the Czech press and declaring that Hadamczik barely used a discernible system at all and that the team would have to win on its own.
It’s worth noting that, when asked about dissension among the ranks, veteran defenseman Tomas Kaberle said all was well in the Czech dressing room.
“I don’t know who’s writing about it,” he said. “We’re on the same page. Everybody’s here to do one thing, to compete hard, and this is the best tournament in the world, and you want to finish first.
“There’s no fights in the dressing room, or anything like that.”
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)