Feb 24, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
“I thought we were all over the place,” Krejci said, per MetroWest Daily News. “We didn’t even know what we were doing at some points.”
The Czechs were a study in dysfunction during the Olympics. They slogged through a listless opening round, winning just one in three tries amidst questionable player selection (see here), illness (see here and here) and a curious distribution of ice time (see here).
Starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec was scratched for a tournament-opening loss to Sweden, then proceeded to start the remaining games — before he was hooked in a quarterfinal loss to the U.S. During the tourney, the Globe and Mail wrote that some of the Czech players were “apparently not even on speaking terms” with Hadamczik, who had his coaching acumen come under fire:
You don’t have to dig very deep to find those that question [Hadamczik's] methods in general, including going back to a seventh place finish at the worlds last year in Stockholm, where players took issue with many of the decisions being made.
He seemed uncertain who to use in shootouts, for one thing, and deferred to veteran players during key games for strategic decisions.
[Jan] Hejda made more pointed comments when he was left off the Olympic team last month, coming out in the Czech press and declaring that Hadamczik barely used a discernible system at all and that the team would have to win on its own.
It’s worth noting that, when asked about dissension among the ranks, veteran defenseman Tomas Kaberle said all was well in the Czech dressing room.
“I don’t know who’s writing about it,” he said. “We’re on the same page. Everybody’s here to do one thing, to compete hard, and this is the best tournament in the world, and you want to finish first.
“There’s no fights in the dressing room, or anything like that.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)