Feb 24, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Johan Franzen couldn’t play for Sweden in the 2014 Winter Games because of a concussion that’s plagued him since mid-December, but he was able to join the rest of the Red Wings’ non-Olympians last week.
He had already been feeling good for weeks before Detroit resumed its practices, but cautioned on Dec. 19 that his symptoms tend to manifest when he subjects himself to game-like situations. However, after as we draw closer to the Red Wings’ first game back on Wednesday, it looks increasingly likely that Franzen will be in the lineup.
“It’s been pretty good,” Franzen told the Detroit News. “I am optimistic (about returning Wednesday).”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39