Feb 24, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT
Mikael Backlund is from Sweden. But, according to a report in the Calgary Herald, the Calgary Flames center was forced to wear a Hockey Canada T-shirt after a rather costly lost bet on Sunday.
The reason: Canada put forward another defensively dominant performance in a 3-0 victory over Sweden to claim the gold medal in men’s hockey at the Sochi Olympics. Make it back-to-back gold medals for Canada at the Olympics, with that nation having worked its way to the top of the podium in thrilling overtime fashion four years ago in Vancouver.
“In the third period, there was one team on the ice,” said Backlund, as per the Calgary Herald. “Sweden didn’t have much. Not much energy out there.”
Backlund, Calgary’s first-round pick from the 2007 NHL Draft, has experience playing for Sweden at the world junior championships and world championships. He had been playing some good hockey prior to the Olympics and was in the conversation to be named as a late entry to Sweden’s roster with the injury to Henrik Sedin.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)