Feb 24, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
If the Stanley Cup playoffs were to begin Monday, the Washington Capitals, armed with the scoring prowess of Alex Ovechkin, would not qualify.
With the NHL schedule set to resume after the Olympic break, the Capitals sit with 63 points in the Eastern Conference standings, one back of the Detroit Red Wings for the second Wild Card spot. The Capitals entered the break on a modest two-game winning streak, and winners in five of their last eight.
However, before that, they were losers of seven in a row, which dropped them below the playoff line. Finding consistency beyond just a handful of games seems to be a difficult task for this team to this point in the season. Of course, the break has brought about a new sense of optimism.
“It’s a team that hasn’t played its best hockey yet,” Capitals general manager George McPhee told the Washington Times. “I thought we were starting to play well before the [Olympic] break.
“I believe they can be a lot better. The players believe they can be a lot better. Hopefully, when we come out of the break we’ll be healthy and play the way I think we’re capable and they think they’re capable of playing.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)