Feb 24, 2014, 12:02 AM EST
Like most young goalies moving from the world of junior hockey to the professional levels, Malcolm Subban possesses raw skill and ability. Now it’s a matter of developing that skill and adding the quality of better positional play, which is happening right now in the American Hockey League.
Subban, the Boston Bruins’ first-round pick, 24th overall, in the 2012 NHL Draft, has played in 21 games this season with the Providence Bruins, and is among the top-10 AHL goalies in goals-against average (2.27) and save percentage (.921).
The NHL Bruins, even with some solid goaltenders ahead of the 20-year-old Subban in Tuukka Rask and Chad Johnson, like what they’ve seen from their young puck-stopping prospect down in the minors. But plenty of work still lies ahead.
“There are some areas technically Bob (Essensa, the B’s goalie coach) has been working with him. I think overall the adjustment to the pro game has been a bit of an eye-opener at times for him,” Bruins’ assistant general manager Don Sweeney told The Boston Herald.
“His athleticism is pretty natural and he relies on it heavily. I think Bob is tweaking things to try to get him to be a little more technical — allow pucks to hit him, rather than being explosive on every save.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)