Feb 23, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne has been one of the most dominant hockey players to ever participate in the Winter Olympics and at the age of 43, he added one final accomplishment to the list.
After leading a battered Finnish squad to a bronze medal, Selanne has been named the most valuable player for the 2014 Winter Games, per the IIHF.
The Finnish Flash scored 24 goals and 43 points in 37 career Olympic contests and while 2014 wasn’t his most prolific tournament offensively, he certainly made his mark with four goals and six points in six games, including two markers in the bronze medal contest against the United States. Knowing this would be his last Olympics, Selanne also wore the ‘C’ for the first time.
“Usually I’m [alternate] captain and a lot of times if they have asked if I want to be captain, I don’t really need a letter to be a leader,” Selanne explained to NHL.com before the tournament started. “A lot of times it’s better if somebody else going to be [captain]. But now it’s my last one, this time I felt it’s time to be captain and I’m very honored.”
Selanne led a combination of veterans like Sami Salo and Kimmo Timonen and promising youngsters like Olli Maatta and Mikael Granlund. He also helped his nation whether quite a bit of adversity as they lost Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula before the Olympics started and then Aleksander Barkov after just two games.
He will walk away with four Olympic medals and the record of being the oldest medal winner in the history of men’s hockey.
A fitting end to a tremendous career on the international stage.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)