Feb 23, 2014, 2:05 AM EDT
Instead, a difficult situation has turned into an opportunity for Nicklas Backstrom to become a main man up the middle, and he’s taken full advantage to this point in the tournament. Through five games, the now 26-year-old Backstrom, centering the top line, is tied with Daniel Sedin and Erik Karlsson for the team lead in assists with four. He’s been forced to emerge as one of the key contributors on a team now competing in the gold medal game against the defending Olympic champions from Canada.
His production and valuable minutes – he’s averaged 18:22 per game – have helped Team Sweden secure at least a silver medal. Now, there’s one game left. One game to put it all on the line for one’s country, to win gold. No pressure, right?
“I don’t feel like I have pressure from outside,” Backstrom told NHL.com. “I always put pressure on myself and have high expectations of myself in a tournament like this or when you go into a new NHL season. That’s a similar situation.
“I think that is enough, to put the pressure and expectations I have for myself. Obviously we have a lot of ice time and the coaching staff believes in us, so it is something we have to take care of.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)