Feb 23, 2014, 3:00 AM EDT
It comes down to this. A winner-take-all gold medal final between Canada and Sweden at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
For the Canadian side, it could become the first repeat champion in Olympic competition since NHL players began participating in men’s hockey in 1998 (see the five challenges Canada faces against Sweden). For four years, Canada has basked with the bragging rights brought on by Sidney Crosby‘s heroic overtime Golden Goal against the U.S. in Vancouver.
A nice memory for Canadian hockey, but it’s in the past.
This Canadian team has been the subject of scrutiny and criticism because it hasn’t been lighting teams up on the score board, despite a plethora of chances in every game. Crosby has yet to score in this tournament. Yet as a team, they’ve given up only three goals in a total of five games, most recently shutting out the U.S. team in the semifinal to advance to Sunday’s gold medal game.
“They want to win. It’s real simple,” said Canada’s head coach Mike Babcock, as per the L.A. Times.
“Sometimes I think we get a little bit confused. It’s not about who scores the goals or who blocks the shots or who plays. It’s about winning. It’s about Canada. It’s about hockey supremacy. We like to brag that it’s our game? If you think it’s your game, you better show it’s your game.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)