Feb 23, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman might have stepped down as executive director of Team Canada after leading the nation to its second straight gold medal, but he’s still got plenty of work ahead of him with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Kostka had two goals and three points in nine games with Chicago in 2013-14. He averaged 14:26 minutes of ice time, but was used heavily with the man advantage when he did play.
At the AHL level, Kostka has developed into a top-tier offensive defenseman, but the 28-year-old has just 44 games worth of NHL experience.
He is signed to a one-year, two-way contract and is owed $325,000 annually even at the minor league level.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17