Feb 23, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Losing in the gold medal game is hard to do. For Sweden’s Erik Karlsson, he might be taking things a bit too much to heart.
Following the 3-0 loss to Canada, via Olympic News Service, Karlsson was asked what the silver medal means to him.
“You will see when I put it out on eBay,” the 23-year-old defenseman said.
Before you go breaking your browsers hitting refresh to look for an Olympic silver medal from Sochi, Karlsson was probably having some fun with reporters. He followed that by being a bit more serious.
“It’s obviously something that will be great to look back on and be proud of, but it will take some time before I will be able to reflect on what it means,” Karlsson said.
At Karlsson’s age, he’ll likely get another chance to win gold at the Olympics whether NHL players go in 2018 or not. Let’s not begrudge a guy for being disappointed at not winning the biggest game of his life.
Still… It might not hurt to set your Google alerts just in case a silver medal goes up for bids.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)