Karlsson said silver medal means so much to him he’ll put it on Ebay

Feb 23, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Erik Karlsson Getty Images

Losing in the gold medal game is hard to do. For Sweden’s Erik Karlsson, he might be taking things a bit too much to heart.

Following the 3-0 loss to Canada, via Olympic News Service, Karlsson was asked what the silver medal means to him.

“You will see when I put it out on eBay,” the 23-year-old defenseman said.

Before you go breaking your browsers hitting refresh to look for an Olympic silver medal from Sochi, Karlsson was probably having some fun with reporters. He followed that by being a bit more serious.

“It’s obviously something that will be great to look back on and be proud of, but it will take some time before I will be able to reflect on what it means,” Karlsson said.

At Karlsson’s age, he’ll likely get another chance to win gold at the Olympics whether NHL players go in 2018 or not. Let’s not begrudge a guy for being disappointed at not winning the biggest game of his life.

Still… It might not hurt to set your Google alerts just in case a silver medal goes up for bids.

1. tdrusher225 - Feb 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Lol not a huge fan of Karlsson, but that is a great quote.

• hockey412 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I wasn’t a fan of his either but with every interview I become one. The guy is just completely at ease with reporters and jokes frequently with him. No harm in his comments, I’m positive that he meant no disrespect towards the Olympic games by it. Seems like a down-to-earth kid.

• tdrusher225 - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yeah I like guys who have a sense of humor about this stuff. I guess I never had a problem with him so much as the voters who chose him as the Norris trophy winner. But in hindsight that’s not exactly his fault lol

2. patthehockeyfan - Feb 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Google alert: set

3. gtthom86 - Feb 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

gotta be rough to end it on a loss. almost feel winning bronze is more fufilling

• stakex - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Probably.

I mean when you win a bronze medal at least you get handed the medal after winning a game. Sure, you lost the previous game and that’s why you’re not playing for gold… but the tournament still ends on a high note. When you win silver however, its because you lost the big game. Even though its a better medal, you are walking away on a much more sour note than a team winning bronze.

20 years from now it might be a different story.

• justaride88 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Or youre a player from Northamerica, in that case, you just skate around on a bronze game. I have never seen Northamericans giving at least 80% on bronze medal games at Worlds or Olympics. Btw, I have been watching international hockey for all my life. It just never happens :)

4. gtthom86 - Feb 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

gotta be rough to end it on a loss. almost feel winning bronze is more fulfilling

5. nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

It’s the nature of the setup for this tournament that the team winning Bronze usually looks much happier than the team winning the Silver. The former wins their final game to get that honor, while the latter has to lose theirs to get their honor. The classic example is the Swiss women being ecstatic and the US women looking shattered minutes after their stunning OT loss.

6. penguins87and71 - Feb 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Wow that was a pretty stupid comment from Karlsson. He should be happy he even got a medal in these olympics, do you know how many other Olympians would have taken have taken a silver medal! Getting bronze, silver, and gold medals in the olympics are hard to get, he should be happy he got a medal.

• thomasvanek - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I’m sure the Pens were thrilled when they were swept last year! At least they made it in the top 4 right? *sarcasm*

• dirt2013 - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Trust me when I say he doesn’t speak for all Pens fans. he speaks for himself and I wonder if he ever played a sport. having said that they should not allow reporters in the room after a tough loss.

• laxman1944 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM

SCREW……….Silver

SCREW……….Bonze

GOLD is all that matters

I like Karlsson’s attitude.

7. timmons94 - Feb 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The kid is so good…. Who cares. He was upset

8. Lupy Nazty Philthy - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Some people are blowing his statement out to be something it’s not. Anyone familiar with Karlsson knows he a light-hearted person who likes to joke around. Frankly, I’m impressed he came up with something so funny given the timing of being asked.

He’s obviously joking. Kid’s going to have a long career and I doubt that will be his last medal either.

9. thomasvanek - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Some of you guys are idiots. This quote is awesome and it shows how deeply he wanted to win.

10. chanceoffleury - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

These guys are professional athletes. Some of the most competitive and driven people that walk this earth. I’d be more surprised and concerned if he was content with the silver than I am at a quote like this one. This is exactly why they make the players do media when they do, this is the kind of quote they’re looking for. Obviously Team Canada is pooping rainbows and prancing with butterflies. I don’t need Sidney Crosby or Jonathan Toews to tell me that. But stick a camera in Karlsson or Landeskog or Lundqvist’s face and ask them what it feels like to be *almost* good enough but not quite there? Sign me up. The outcome was boring. Canada was supposed to win and they did. Where’s the fun in that? Comments like Karlsson’s just spice things up and make it more entertaining. He didn’t win a Norris trophy or best defenseman at the Olympics by being *almost* good enough.

• laxman1944 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Dam right Chance……….

11. pfhockey - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Silver, the only medal you receive w/o a smile.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches