Feb 23, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced Sunday that center Frans Nielsen has been placed on injured reserve with a hand injury. It is retroactive to Feb. 8, the Islanders’ final game before the Olympic break.
Nielsen suffered a broken hand on an Erik Johnson slash and, as of Feb. 11, was expected to be out for a month. Johnson received a two-game suspension for what the NHL Department of Player Safety deemed a “reckless” and “violent” two-handed slash.
The 29-year-old Nielsen, who, according to Capgeek.com, is in the second year of a four-year contract worth a cap hit of $2.75 million, has appeared in 60 games for the Islanders this season. He’s scored 18 goals and has 43 points.
It’s tough news for the Islanders, who learned earlier during the Olympic break that their star forward John Tavares is done for the season with a torn MCL. The injury occurred while playing for Team Canada during the quarter-final of the men’s hockey competition in Sochi.
Islanders general manager Garth Snow sounded off on the Tavares injury, clearly not happy with the IOC and IIHF.
“Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?” Snow asked. “It’s a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don’t want to pay when our best player gets hurt.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)