Feb 23, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced Sunday that center Frans Nielsen has been placed on injured reserve with a hand injury. It is retroactive to Feb. 8, the Islanders’ final game before the Olympic break.
Nielsen suffered a broken hand on an Erik Johnson slash and, as of Feb. 11, was expected to be out for a month. Johnson received a two-game suspension for what the NHL Department of Player Safety deemed a “reckless” and “violent” two-handed slash.
The 29-year-old Nielsen, who, according to Capgeek.com, is in the second year of a four-year contract worth a cap hit of $2.75 million, has appeared in 60 games for the Islanders this season. He’s scored 18 goals and has 43 points.
It’s tough news for the Islanders, who learned earlier during the Olympic break that their star forward John Tavares is done for the season with a torn MCL. The injury occurred while playing for Team Canada during the quarter-final of the men’s hockey competition in Sochi.
Islanders general manager Garth Snow sounded off on the Tavares injury, clearly not happy with the IOC and IIHF.
“Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?” Snow asked. “It’s a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don’t want to pay when our best player gets hurt.”
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)