Feb 23, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
But he’s hoping to return to the Vancouver Canucks lineup Wednesday against the St. Louis Blues. The Canucks will come out of the Olympic break on a sour seven-game losing streak.
Henrik, the Canucks’ captain, missed eight of the last 10 games due to his injury, and, because he did not make the trek to Russia to join his twin brother, Daniel, could benefit greatly from the recent time off.
“Right now it feels like it’s a possibility, for sure,” Henrik said Friday of possibly returning to game action Wednesday. “We’ll take it day by day. Like I said, I felt good today with my shooting, skating and some contact, so it was very positive.
“It was a tough decision, like I said, but it would have felt awful toward my teammates and myself and Team Sweden to go over there and not be at 100 percent.”
Canucks head coach John Tortorella has gone on record as saying he would like to Sweden win. Part of that motivation comes from wanting Daniel Sedin and Edler to have big games before coming back to Vancouver with – the coach hopes – more confidence.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 9
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 32
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 25
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)