Feb 23, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
But he’s hoping to return to the Vancouver Canucks lineup Wednesday against the St. Louis Blues. The Canucks will come out of the Olympic break on a sour seven-game losing streak.
Henrik, the Canucks’ captain, missed eight of the last 10 games due to his injury, and, because he did not make the trek to Russia to join his twin brother, Daniel, could benefit greatly from the recent time off.
“Right now it feels like it’s a possibility, for sure,” Henrik said Friday of possibly returning to game action Wednesday. “We’ll take it day by day. Like I said, I felt good today with my shooting, skating and some contact, so it was very positive.
“It was a tough decision, like I said, but it would have felt awful toward my teammates and myself and Team Sweden to go over there and not be at 100 percent.”
Canucks head coach John Tortorella has gone on record as saying he would like to Sweden win. Part of that motivation comes from wanting Daniel Sedin and Edler to have big games before coming back to Vancouver with – the coach hopes – more confidence.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (77)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)