Feb 23, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
But he’s hoping to return to the Vancouver Canucks lineup Wednesday against the St. Louis Blues. The Canucks will come out of the Olympic break on a sour seven-game losing streak.
Henrik, the Canucks’ captain, missed eight of the last 10 games due to his injury, and, because he did not make the trek to Russia to join his twin brother, Daniel, could benefit greatly from the recent time off.
“Right now it feels like it’s a possibility, for sure,” Henrik said Friday of possibly returning to game action Wednesday. “We’ll take it day by day. Like I said, I felt good today with my shooting, skating and some contact, so it was very positive.
“It was a tough decision, like I said, but it would have felt awful toward my teammates and myself and Team Sweden to go over there and not be at 100 percent.”
Canucks head coach John Tortorella has gone on record as saying he would like to Sweden win. Part of that motivation comes from wanting Daniel Sedin and Edler to have big games before coming back to Vancouver with – the coach hopes – more confidence.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)