Feb 23, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak had a rough time during the Olympics for Slovakia.
He was pulled in a 7-1 loss to Team USA and took a tough 3-1 loss against Slovenia during round-robin play. Following that game he was benched in favor of KHL’er Jan Laco for their final two games of the tournament, losses to Russia and Czech Republic.
Now Halak is back in St. Louis to help the Blues try to win the Stanley Cup and Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch heard from him about what happened in Sochi.
As it turns out, he had a feeling he wouldn’t get a chance to redeem himself for his country.
Halak says he was NOT told by Slovakian coach before game vs. Czech Republic that he was "done for the tournament." Said he figured he was.—
Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) February 23, 2014
That’s kind of sad, but when you’re playing goal for a team that was close to winning bronze in 2010 and you lose to Slovenia, things change. Laco playing strong in a 1-0 shootout loss against Russia essentially made the decision for Slovak coach Vladimir Vujtek.
For Blues fans worried he might be hurting confidence-wise heading into the stretch run, Rutherford shares that isn’t the case.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 5
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 8
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 26
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)