Feb 23, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
Canada winning the gold medal for the second straight Olympics was a proud moment for all Canadians. For Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal, it was a bittersweet sight.
Staal was a member of the 2010 team in Vancouver and missed the cut for the 2014 team. As he tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer, he’s bummed out he couldn’t be in Sochi to be part of the fun.
“I think any player in my position, there’s going to be disappointment you’re not part of that team,” Staal said. “But I think the way they played as a group, as a team, they made the right choices because they got the job done. For me, disappointing you’re not part of that group, but at the same time I know all those guys.”
Staal, 29, says if the pros head to Korea in 2018 he wants to be part of that team. After presumably just missing out this time around, he’ll stand a chance of getting back there then. At least he still has “Had great chemistry with Sidney Crosby in 2010″ on his résumé.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)