Feb 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
With the final weekend of the 2014 Olympics upon us, NBC is airing three compelling documentaries that take a deeper look into memorable – and sometimes tragic – events.
Here is a list of the documentaries, including when each of the three will air:
|Saturday, February 22||Within NBC daytime coverage, 2:30 ET||Lokomotiv|
|Saturday, February 22||Within NBC primetime coverage, 8 ET||Long Way Home: The Jessica Long Story|
|Sunday, February 23||7 ET||Nancy & Tonya|
Let’s take a little look at each one.
Lokomotiv looks back at the KHL team’s tragic plane crash on Sept. 7, 2011. It resulted in the death of 44 out of 45 people on board the flight, 37 of which were players, coaches and staff from the team. This documentary looks back at that incident itself, but also considers how the team was rebuilt with significant help from the hockey community as a whole.
Fans of HBO’s 24/7 series will probably be extra excited to find out that the documentary is narrated by Liev Schreiber.
Long Way Home: The Jessica Long Story
Here’s a captivating excerpt from NBC’s release on the documentary:
A double amputee and a Russian-born orphan, Jessica Long has grown up as two people simultaneously, a dedicated and determined young woman who has used that drive to become one of the most-decorated U.S. Paralympians and also someone who, from 13 months old at her adoption from a Russian orphanage, has longed to know who she really is.
Over the course of Long Way Home: The Story of Jessica Long, Long tells the remarkable story of how she discovered her first family, and eventually embarked on a journey through a past she never knew. Originally named Tatiana Olegovna Kirillova, Long retraces her adoption back to her orphanage in Irkutsk, Russia, and on to what would have been her hometown of Bratsk, deep in the heart of Siberia. It’s here that we see the overwhelming moment where she comes face-to-face for the first time, not only with her birth mother, but her biological father, brothers and sisters – the Russian family she had never met.
Nancy & Tonya
Twenty years ago, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding created a wave of drama few sports stories have ever approached. This documentary chronicles the media frenzy surrounding the two figure skaters and everything that came with it.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)