Feb 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
However, head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t seem overly concerned about that right now, with the Rangers not scheduled to play until next Thursday against the Chicago Blackhawks.
“Usually, that’s a couple of days thing,” Vigneault said, as per NorthJersey.com. “I can’t see anything major coming out of that.”
The 27-year-old Staal has appeared in 49 games this season, with three goals and 11 points on the Rangers’ blue line. He did miss 10 games earlier on due to a concussion.
Up front, the Rangers are dealing with a couple of injuries to forwards Mats Zuccarello and Derek Dorsett, who is currently on the injured reserve list after he suffered a broken left fibula at the beginning of January.
Zuccarello, the Rangers’ leader in points with 43 in 58 games, has a non-displaced fracture in his hand, which happened while playing for Norway at the Olympics. At last update, he’ll miss three to four weeks as a result of his injury.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)