Feb 22, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter was, according to LA Kings Insider, asked Thursday about whether he’d be in favor of the National Hockey League adopting the Olympic point system, so he gave his answer.
He’s in against it. A refresher: In the Olympic competition, a regulation win is worth three points; an overtime or shootout win is worth two points and an overtime or shootout loss worth one point.
But enough is enough with respect to change in the NHL, according to Sutter.
“I hope not. Why? Because there are history books. The overtime change, the point change, the shootout change, that to me was enough. It’s just like watching [the United States-Canada women’s final]. Do you want that to go to a shootout? No,” the L.A. Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters, as per LA Kings Insider.
And, he’s also not in favor of the shootout rule in international competition, in which one player can be used multiple times as the coach prefers, like when U.S. player T.J. Oshie scored four times on six attempts against Russia in the preliminary round.
Basically, it boils down to the fact Sutter, well, he just doesn’t like the shootout.
“I’m not in favor of the shootout. If it’s such a great thing, why don’t we do it at the start of the game, so players don’t have to worry about it at the end? We have such a great thing. If that’s all it is, just a spectacle, but if that’s the way teams get to make the playoffs, I totally disagree with it. There’s no team concept to it at all,” Sutter continued.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)