Feb 22, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter was, according to LA Kings Insider, asked Thursday about whether he’d be in favor of the National Hockey League adopting the Olympic point system, so he gave his answer.
He’s in against it. A refresher: In the Olympic competition, a regulation win is worth three points; an overtime or shootout win is worth two points and an overtime or shootout loss worth one point.
But enough is enough with respect to change in the NHL, according to Sutter.
“I hope not. Why? Because there are history books. The overtime change, the point change, the shootout change, that to me was enough. It’s just like watching [the United States-Canada women’s final]. Do you want that to go to a shootout? No,” the L.A. Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters, as per LA Kings Insider.
And, he’s also not in favor of the shootout rule in international competition, in which one player can be used multiple times as the coach prefers, like when U.S. player T.J. Oshie scored four times on six attempts against Russia in the preliminary round.
Basically, it boils down to the fact Sutter, well, he just doesn’t like the shootout.
“I’m not in favor of the shootout. If it’s such a great thing, why don’t we do it at the start of the game, so players don’t have to worry about it at the end? We have such a great thing. If that’s all it is, just a spectacle, but if that’s the way teams get to make the playoffs, I totally disagree with it. There’s no team concept to it at all,” Sutter continued.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 0
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)