Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Patrick Kane‘s had a tough time going one-on-one with goalies this year, and that continued on Saturday.
Kane missed not one, but two penalty shots against Finland in the bronze medal game at the Bolshoy Ice Dome, the second coming early in the middle period with Finland holding a 2-0 lead. This comes during an NHL campaign when Kane has struggled in the shootout, going an uncharacteristic 1-for-11 on the year, and missed his only penalty shot (making him 0-for-3 in his career.)
Kane’s first attempt on Saturday came with just under six minutes to go in the first period, when Finnish defenseman Kimmo Timonen shot part of a broken stick towards Kane, knocking the puck off Kane’s stick in the process. The Chicago sniper couldn’t convert the penalty shot, however, putting his backhand wide of Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask.
At the 6:24 mark of the second period, Kane got his chance for redemption.
Ex-Leafs forward Leo Komarov slashed at Kane’s stick on a breakaway, shattering the lumber for Kane’s second opportunity of the game. But much like the first, No. 88’s shot didn’t find the back of the net — Kane rang a wrister off the post, a tough result given the Americans were in dire need of a goal having conceded a pair to the Finns to begin the period.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)