Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Patrick Kane‘s had a tough time going one-on-one with goalies this year, and that continued on Saturday.
Kane missed not one, but two penalty shots against Finland in the bronze medal game at the Bolshoy Ice Dome, the second coming early in the middle period with Finland holding a 2-0 lead. This comes during an NHL campaign when Kane has struggled in the shootout, going an uncharacteristic 1-for-11 on the year, and missed his only penalty shot (making him 0-for-3 in his career.)
Kane’s first attempt on Saturday came with just under six minutes to go in the first period, when Finnish defenseman Kimmo Timonen shot part of a broken stick towards Kane, knocking the puck off Kane’s stick in the process. The Chicago sniper couldn’t convert the penalty shot, however, putting his backhand wide of Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask.
At the 6:24 mark of the second period, Kane got his chance for redemption.
Ex-Leafs forward Leo Komarov slashed at Kane’s stick on a breakaway, shattering the lumber for Kane’s second opportunity of the game. But much like the first, No. 88’s shot didn’t find the back of the net — Kane rang a wrister off the post, a tough result given the Americans were in dire need of a goal having conceded a pair to the Finns to begin the period.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)