Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Patrick Kane‘s had a tough time going one-on-one with goalies this year, and that continued on Saturday.
Kane missed not one, but two penalty shots against Finland in the bronze medal game at the Bolshoy Ice Dome, the second coming early in the middle period with Finland holding a 2-0 lead. This comes during an NHL campaign when Kane has struggled in the shootout, going an uncharacteristic 1-for-11 on the year, and missed his only penalty shot (making him 0-for-3 in his career.)
Kane’s first attempt on Saturday came with just under six minutes to go in the first period, when Finnish defenseman Kimmo Timonen shot part of a broken stick towards Kane, knocking the puck off Kane’s stick in the process. The Chicago sniper couldn’t convert the penalty shot, however, putting his backhand wide of Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask.
At the 6:24 mark of the second period, Kane got his chance for redemption.
Ex-Leafs forward Leo Komarov slashed at Kane’s stick on a breakaway, shattering the lumber for Kane’s second opportunity of the game. But much like the first, No. 88’s shot didn’t find the back of the net — Kane rang a wrister off the post, a tough result given the Americans were in dire need of a goal having conceded a pair to the Finns to begin the period.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)