Feb 22, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Patrick Kane‘s had a tough time going one-on-one with goalies this year, and that continued on Saturday.
Kane missed not one, but two penalty shots against Finland in the bronze medal game at the Bolshoy Ice Dome, the second coming early in the middle period with Finland holding a 2-0 lead. This comes during an NHL campaign when Kane has struggled in the shootout, going an uncharacteristic 1-for-11 on the year, and missed his only penalty shot (making him 0-for-3 in his career.)
Kane’s first attempt on Saturday came with just under six minutes to go in the first period, when Finnish defenseman Kimmo Timonen shot part of a broken stick towards Kane, knocking the puck off Kane’s stick in the process. The Chicago sniper couldn’t convert the penalty shot, however, putting his backhand wide of Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask.
At the 6:24 mark of the second period, Kane got his chance for redemption.
Ex-Leafs forward Leo Komarov slashed at Kane’s stick on a breakaway, shattering the lumber for Kane’s second opportunity of the game. But much like the first, No. 88’s shot didn’t find the back of the net — Kane rang a wrister off the post, a tough result given the Americans were in dire need of a goal having conceded a pair to the Finns to begin the period.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)