Feb 22, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
The loss of John Tavares to the New York Islanders for the remainder of the season with a knee injury was crushing news for the team.
While Tavares is out, the team must move on. As Arthur Staple of New York Newsday shares, Isles coach Jack Capuano is hoping for the best from players from within the organization to fill the captain’s shoes.
“Everyone realizes what Johnny means to this team and this organization,” Capuano said. “It’s time to focus on the people we do have moving forward. Players go down and other guys have to step up.”
Ryan Strome (pictured) and Anders Lee are the Bridgeport Sound Tigers’ top two scorers and they’ll both likely get the call to join the team. Making matters tougher for the Isles is Frans Nielsen‘s broken hand that won’t be healed before they open up play on Thursday at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
No matter how well Strome and Lee might play, replacing Tavares’ production (he’s third in the NHL in points) will be nearly impossible.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)