Feb 22, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
The loss of John Tavares to the New York Islanders for the remainder of the season with a knee injury was crushing news for the team.
While Tavares is out, the team must move on. As Arthur Staple of New York Newsday shares, Isles coach Jack Capuano is hoping for the best from players from within the organization to fill the captain’s shoes.
“Everyone realizes what Johnny means to this team and this organization,” Capuano said. “It’s time to focus on the people we do have moving forward. Players go down and other guys have to step up.”
Ryan Strome (pictured) and Anders Lee are the Bridgeport Sound Tigers’ top two scorers and they’ll both likely get the call to join the team. Making matters tougher for the Isles is Frans Nielsen‘s broken hand that won’t be healed before they open up play on Thursday at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
No matter how well Strome and Lee might play, replacing Tavares’ production (he’s third in the NHL in points) will be nearly impossible.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)