Feb 22, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
From top to bottom, the Canadian forwards are used to being offensive leaders on their respective teams. That hasn’t been the case in Sochi, but so far it’s been fine because Canada’s more defensive style has worked.
“It’s hard to get real good players to be as committed as our group is defensively,” Canada head coach Mike Babcock, per Canada.com. “You know, we haven’t scored, and no one seems to care. It doesn’t matter. They just want to have an opportunity.”
Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry, and Rick Nash can be counted among those that still haven’t scored a goal for the Canadians, but as long as they don’t let that frustrate them and they stick to their gameplan, Canada’s still in a good position.
“I think guys trust that the puck’s going to go in and, if it’s not, they’re going to do the right things away from it,” Crosby told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “You don’t change the way you play. There’s a right way to play the game.”
Babcock added that he thinks ultimately the Canadian offense will pick up as long as they keep creating chances, but with one game left, they are all aware of what they will be judged on — and it won’t be how many goals they scored.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 0
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 117
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (117)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)